Headless WINE (nulldrv, winetty)

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
boulderdrop

Post by boulderdrop »

I'm running a headless Linux installation (FC11) on Amazon EC2 and need to run some console-based (no window) 32-bit DOS executables...

I've been running this fine for the past couple years on another installation (FC10) with v1.1.23, by setting the "TERM" environment variable to "xterm" and I believe it ran the "tty" graphics-driver and worked just great.

However, I've set up a new box running FC11 and this same configuration doesn't seem to work... as the kernel/machine freezes as it tries to load graphics drivers.

In spelunking through the source-code for the latest WINE, I see that there's been some changes to the null-driver and renaming it to winetty... but I can't seem to find much more information on it through google-searches.

QUESTION: How can I configure a Wine 1.1.32 installation to run console-based programs (no windows, nothing by a stdlib.h print()) as headless aka tty/nulldrv/winetty (NO X-Windows).
Martin Gregorie

Post by Martin Gregorie »

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 13:11 -0500, boulderdrop wrote:
I'm running a headless Linux installation (FC11) on Amazon EC2 and
need to run some console-based (no window) 32-bit DOS executables...
Set "X11Forwarding yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the headless server
and "ForwardX11 yes" in /etc/sshd/ssh_config on the machine you're
connecting from.

This allows has two benefits - you can run GUI applications on your
headless server and, of immediate interest, wine will be able to connect
to your local X11 server, which will keep it happy when running your
console-based DOS executables.

This is my standard set-up. I've yet to see any down sides to it.

Martin
boulderdrop

Re: Headless WINE (nulldrv, winetty)

Post by boulderdrop »

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking to re-configure this new installation to be 100% headless without X11Forwarding or X-Windows of any sort...

Why?!?!

I'm running software fulfillment processes from a CRON process that needs to execute a WinAPI32-bit console-mode program in order to generate license-codes that are based from a random() number generator that is unique to a dos compiler/linker. The console-mode program does not use any window-handles and is 100% console. It just executes a function() that generates a license from it's rand() and then outputs the results to a file. This file is then read() by a linux program to get the results and then pass it to other parts of the system. So there's ZERO need for interactivity or windowing.

So, I'm looking for that NULL-DRIVER, WINETTY, TTY, etc.. that will allow me to run the equiv of wineconsole.

Martin Gregorie wrote:On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 13:11 -0500, boulderdrop wrote:
I'm running a headless Linux installation (FC11) on Amazon EC2 and
need to run some console-based (no window) 32-bit DOS executables...
Set "X11Forwarding yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the headless server
and "ForwardX11 yes" in /etc/sshd/ssh_config on the machine you're
connecting from.
Alexandre Julliard

Post by Alexandre Julliard »

"boulderdrop" <[email protected]> writes:
Thanks for your reply. I'm looking to re-configure this new installation to be 100% headless without X11Forwarding or X-Windows of any sort...

Why?!?!

I'm running software fulfillment processes from a CRON process that needs to execute a WinAPI32-bit console-mode program in order to generate license-codes that are based from a random() number generator that is unique to a dos compiler/linker. The console-mode program does not use any window-handles and is 100% console. It just executes a function() that generates a license from it's rand() and then outputs the results to a file. This file is then read() by a linux program to get the results and then pass it to other parts of the system. So there's ZERO need for interactivity or windowing.

So, I'm looking for that NULL-DRIVER, WINETTY, TTY, etc.. that will allow me to run the equiv of wineconsole.
You don't need any special configuration. Just make sure DISPLAY isn't set.

--
Alexandre Julliard
[email protected]
vitamin

Re: Headless WINE (nulldrv, winetty)

Post by vitamin »

Alexandre Julliard wrote:You don't need any special configuration. Just make sure DISPLAY isn't set.
And pray that your program doesn't use ole (or any other Wine parts that create windows).