File Browser Dialog Slow

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
kalio

File Browser Dialog Slow

Post by kalio »

Is there any known issue with the file open dialog browser? Whenever a Windows app calls this to open a file, sometimes it is very slow. I'm not exactly sure what is causing this issue though, since some directories don't seem to have much lag at all while others take minutes to load all the available files/folders within a specific directory. The problem does seem to happen most often when browsing folders on SMB shares, but it doesn't always happen - some folders on SMB shares are fine, but others are just really slow.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: File Browser Dialog Slow

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Never had that issue, but I don't use SMB shares either. Are you sure it's not the network?
If you manage to find out how to replicate the issue we could take a look, but otherwise it's kinda difficult.
lirava

Post by lirava »

kalio wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:27 pm Is there any known issue with the file open dialog browser? Whenever a Windows app calls this to open a file, sometimes it is very slow. I'm not exactly sure what is causing this issue though, since some directories don't seem to have much lag at all while others take minutes to load all the available files/slope game folders within a specific directory. The problem does seem to happen most often when browsing folders on SMB shares, but it doesn't always happen - some folders on SMB shares are fine, but others are just really slow.
How long does it take to master control?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Are there printers on your network? There's a long-known issue with Wine being slow to start when a network printer is unavailable.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3507
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10358