How to set Volume Label on mounted ISO image?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Beau

How to set Volume Label on mounted ISO image?

Post by Beau »

This is driving me nuts. I'm trying to run an older game that checks the Volume Label of the CD to make sure it is legit. I don't wish to carry the CD around with me all the time, and my laptops CD-ROM drive doesn't always work that reliably, so I'm trying to use an ISO image.

I mount the file using this command in Ubuntu 8.10:
sudo mount discimage.iso mount_dir -o loop

I also have created a symlink called "d:" pointing to mount_dir. This works almost fine; Wine sees the drive and the files on the disk.... except.... the drive has NO LABEL!! The ISO has a label, but Wine doesn't seem to detect this properly.

Back in the old days, you could just edit the Wine config file with something like so:
[Drive D]
"Path" = "/mount_dir"
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Label" = "MY_GAME"
"Filesystem" = "msdos"

But now the only way to explicitly specify a label is to create a file named .windows-label in the root dir of the drive.... except how can you do this for a read-only ISO image?

What a problem. I really think Wine should allow us to specify a label somewhere other than within the actual drive. I know it's "simple" and all, but in this case it clearly is not.

Any ideas?
Thunderbird
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Thunderbird »

When using a .iso image a game can't directly read cd tracks. You need to use cdemu to mount the iso as it offers you a real device file which offers the needed functionality.
vitamin

Re: How to set Volume Label on mounted ISO image?

Post by vitamin »

Beau wrote:I also have created a symlink called "d:" pointing to mount_dir. This works almost fine; Wine sees the drive and the files on the disk.... except.... the drive has NO LABEL!! The ISO has a label, but Wine doesn't seem to detect this properly.
Make sure that you (as user) can access /dev/loop* Also that you can read that .iso file.