Doom 2016 has removed Denuvo DRM, how long until Wine works?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
killthealias

Doom 2016 has removed Denuvo DRM, how long until Wine works?

Post by killthealias »

Currently it seems that bcrypt.dll causes a crash upon launch. I get the following error upon trying to launch the game under 1.9.24 http://pastebin.com/yxd02jBG. If someone has a fix for this, *please* let me know.

Thanks, Alex
dimesio

Re: Doom 2016 has removed Denuvo DRM, how long until Wine wo

Post by dimesio »

boltronics

Post by boltronics »

Had the game not had Denuvo at launch, I would have expected hackers to get it up and running in a few days. But now? There's no urgency - the game has been out for ages, and the interest isn't anywhere near what it was.

Additionally, this happened at the worst possible time - right at the beginning of Wine's freeze period. Since new features won't be added, I wouldn't expect this to work until early next year - at least not in any kind of official release. It also means that Doom won't work out of the box for anyone running a stable Wine release for well over a year, which obviously sucks. I don't feel bad for Bethesda though - they brought this on themselves. Hopefully they lost enough money through this evil DRM and lost sales from Codeweavers/Wine users that they will be deterred from doing this again in future! Kind of hard for them to measure that though.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

It's working already actually...

See WineHQ AppDB: DOOM (2016) ...
See linuxgamecast: DOOM on WINE! ...

Bob