Port Royale 2 error "could not find translation files"

Questions about Wine on macOS.
burga
Level 1
Level 1

Port Royale 2 error "could not find translation files"

Post by burga »

Hello everybody.

I have this old game "Port Royale 2" which I really love and I would like to play it on my MacBook.

When I try to run the game with Wine, there is an error: "could not find translation files".
I sure did some googl'ing, but I really have no idea of how to use wine in such a "professional" way (the solutions were too
complicated for me).
Maybe someone here can help me?

I often found something like "set dbghelp.dll to native" or "dbghelp=n" as a possible solution, but I have no idea what this means or how that works.
Here's an example: http://git.net/wine-bugs/dsc142542.html

greets
burga
L. Rahyen

Re: Port Royale 2 error "could not find translation files"

Post by L. Rahyen »

That's right, you have encountered Wine bug #34687. To "set dbghelp.dll to native" you just need to run winecfg, click tab Libraries, then in the field "New override for library" enter "dbghelp" and click "Add". You will be warned that changing load order of this library is not recommended, click "Yes" to confirm you really want to do this. This is good method if you do not have other applications in your Wine prefix, otherwise, it may be a good idea to install the game in separate Wine prefix (read the FAQ if you want this but do not know how).

Alternative way is to set WINEDLLOVERRIDES environment variable when running the game, for example:

Code: Select all

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/game_folder/
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dbghelp=n" wine game.exe
Replace "game_folder" with the folder where you have installed the game and "game.exe" with actual name of the game' executable. This way you can apply this workaround to specific application without creating separate Wine prefix.
burga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burga »

Thank you for the quick and nice answer! :D
Unfortunately it still doesn't work :(
I still get the exact same error message. Any idea why?
Could it be that using an older wine version might fix the problem?
I also read that people who want to play the game on newer Windows versions than XP (without wine, of course) often get the same error. Is there a way to "emulate" Windows XP? (sorry, I really have no idea of how wine works exactly)

I wanted to upload the log files created after the test run, but it tells me "The extension log is not allowed."
Can I just post their content here?
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

You can choose in winecfg which version of Windows Wine tries to "emulate". If you are looking for perfect Windows XP compatibility, only way to achieve it is either by using virtual machine with GPU passtrough or by dual-booting. Fortunatelly, in many cases perfect compatibility with any version of Windows is not necessary. In this particular case, according to AppDB and the bug report, Wine should be good enough to run this game, we just need to figure out why it does not run for you. So please upload your log file to pastebin.com and post link to the log here. Also, please post full command which you use to run the game (if you are using WINEDLLOVERRIDES "trick") or screenshot of winecfg Libraries tab. And what version of Wine you are using (run "wine --version" if you do not know)?
burga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burga »

The Logs:
http://pastebin.com/86ZmzRua
http://pastebin.com/icEPwBku

Wrapper Version: Wineskin 2.6.0
Engine: WS9Wine1.7.44
Attachments
winecfg Libraries
winecfg Libraries
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

Sorry, but third-party wrappers are not supported here. Please reinstall your game in clean Wine prefix with plain Wine. I know, this is extra work, but truth is, third-party wrappers may cause issues of their own.

By the way, I have tried the demo of the game (you can find the link to it in the bug report) and it worked for me (however, I did not test it much), at least I was able to start "Sea Battles" scenario. It's important to cd to the directory where the game is installed before trying to run it with Wine, otherwise it will not start. If installing the game in clean Wine prefix with plain Wine will not solve your problem, you may want to try the demo too, to check if it works for you or crashes with the same error.
burga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burga »

It works now :-)
I'm still using third party stuff though (I think). It's the Wine Bottler from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org
I just have one bug now, the sea is black. The latest comment here seems to have a solution, but this is nothing I can use with my basic knowledge I guess?
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17913

Thank you very much for you help!!

edit: just found that the link refers to Port Royale, not Port Royale 2. sorry!
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

I get good looking sea after choosing "Sea Battles" scenario - both in mini-map and main view. In other words, I cannot reproduce your problem. Where do you see black sea exactly? Please note that I'm testing the demo, so I'm limited to few scenarios. Can you try "Sea Battles" scenario and tell if you can see black see there?

The link you have posted suggests to use wine-staging, it's Wine with lots of unsupported patches applied to it. Also, I do not use neither it nor "Wine Bottler" so it is really hard to help you if you keep using unsupported third-party stuff. All these wrappers and heavily patched Wine versions are of any good only if you do not experience strange issues with them, otherwise, it is better to retest with plain Wine in fresh Wine prefix - sometimes this helps, and even if not, at least we would know if the problem is reproducible with plain Wine or not.
burga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burga »

I get the black sea on the world map - no matter which game mode I choose.

The problems I had with plain wine were
1. it sounds like I really have to take some time learning how this whole thing works, the terminal and so on...and maybe I would have done that, as I actually appreciate learning new stuff, but:
2. I need to install XCode, which takes 2,5GB. This was just too much for me, as my disk space is already limited and I didn't want to "waste" that much space in order to run a mere 500MB game.

Of course I would prefer playing the game without that bug. But right now I don't have the time and motivation to go deeper into the matter.
I wonder: is it possible to uninstall XCode after installing wine? Maybe then I would make the effort and learn how to install wine, if I find some free time.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

I googled about "world map" in Port Royale 2, it turned out I need to press an icon in upper corner to access world map after starting an scenario because it is hidden by default. And I can confirm that I see black sea there. In the future please describe exact steps how to reproduce the problem (in previous posts you have not even mentioned that the problem is specific to world map or how to access it, so it is hard to find without actually playing the game).

When you are using plain Wine, most important commands in terminal are "cd" to change directory and "wine". You just cd to the directory where setup or game executable is, and run like "wine setup.exe". I have no idea what XCode is, so I cannot help you with that. What probably will be harder for you, is to learn how to build Wine with "wined3d-DXTn patchset from wine-staging" as mentioned in the bug report.

With plain Wine I see "Cannot find a conversion function from format WINED3DFMT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM to WINED3DFMT_DXT1" messages in the terminal output, exactly as mentioned in the bug report, so the bug seems to be valid for both Port Royale and Port Royale 2. Therefore, it is already known bug.

I have tested with wine-staging-1.7.44 build from popular third-party Wine wrapper, and the demo of the game does not run at all with it. So, it seems workaround for you will not be as simple as trying yet another unsupported wrapper like PlayOnMac with wine-staging build, and you either have to live with black sea on world map, or have to build Wine with patchset mentioned in the bug report. Alternatively, use virtual machine (with GPU passthrough if possible), or just dual-boot.
burga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burga »

Okay, thank you very much for your help so far :-)

I have found that a guy called Pall the Tall has also built a wrapper for the game - with exactly the same bug.
On his homepage he says that he will fix it as soon as he has figured out how to do it.
Until then I will just play with the black sea.

Thank you again!
Cya
burga
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

I think you mean this page:
http://paulthetall.com/port-royal-2-mac/
However, according to WebArchive, this was known issue since Octember 2014, so he probably just does not know how to fix it (understandable, since the workaround was suggested in Wine bug report months later). If you care about this, you may want to suggest him that he needs to add wined3d-DXTn patchset to fix the issue.