Star Wars Battlefront 2 on Linux Mint 16 fails to install

Questions about Wine on Linux
1337ingDisorder
Level 1
Level 1

Star Wars Battlefront 2 on Linux Mint 16 fails to install

Post by 1337ingDisorder »

Hey I'm hoping someone can help with an error I'm receiving when trying to install an app using wine.

I'm on Linux Mint 16 and the app is Star Wars Battlefront 2 (which, according to WineHQ, works fine in Linux Mint 14 so it should theoretically not be too inconceivable that it would work on Mint 16)

The error is pasted here: http://pastebin.com/q3iHhi1X

I get that error every time I try to run the installer. The installer program runs ok, but when I click "Install" is opens the Wise Installation Wizard and that's when it throws the error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
dimesio

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2 on Linux Mint 16 fails to instal

Post by dimesio »

Wine version? If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If the problem persists, post terminal output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
1337ingDisorder
Level 1
Level 1

Wine version 1.4.1 (not sure if this is the latest dev release or what... please advise)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

1.4.1 is no longer supported. The current development release is 1.7.20.
1337ingDisorder
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks dimesio, updating wine to 1.7.2 allowed the installer to do its job.

The game is now fully installed, and I can launch it, but unfortunately when I launch it, the game forces a resolution change to 640x480 but the in-game main menu is a larger resolution than that, so the button in the bottom right of the main menu area which actually lets me start a game is off screen and I'm unable to play.

Is there any way I can prevent the game from forcing that resolution change?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

1337ingDisorder wrote:updating wine to 1.7.2
Is that a typo? The current version is 1.7.20.
Try running in an emulated virtual desktop. Set it on the Graphics tab in winecfg.
1337ingDisorder
Level 1
Level 1

dimesio wrote:
1337ingDisorder wrote:updating wine to 1.7.2
Is that a typo? The current version is 1.7.20.
Yes, I meant to type 1.7.20, however I just ran wine --version and it tells me the installed version is 1.7.18, which is strange given that I followed these instructions to the letter: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-linux/ (I used the PPA method)
dimesio wrote:
Try running in an emulated virtual desktop. Set it on the Graphics tab in winecfg.
Thanks, tried that and it didn't seem to have any effect, still resized my entire display so I had to go into the nvidia X server settings and fix my res just like before.

It may be worth noting that the way it resizes is weird... It's almost more of a zoom than a resize.. like, my full-size desktop is still available but the top-left of it is the 640x480 window showing the Battlefront app. I can only see 640x480 at any given time, and it starts out wherever the mouse was when the resize happened, but when I move the mouse to the top-left corner of the screen, the view shifts (like with a magnifying glass or desktop zoom plugin) and when it comes to rest on the battlefront screen then the screen can't be shifted back in the opposite direction any more. (Sorry if that's unclear, if so let me know and I'll try to explain better)

Also worth noting that the Battlefront window in the top-left corner doesn't appear as a typical window with an edge and top caption bar, it appears as though it was full-screened, but it's only painted onto the top-left 640x480 pixels.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

That's very odd. In an emulated virtual desktop, it might resize the emulated desktop, but it shouldn't be able to resize your entire display. Did you exit winecfg after setting it? Another possibility is that there were processes left running in the background when you ran winecfg; that would prevent the new setting from being applied.
1337ingDisorder
Level 1
Level 1

That was indeed the problem -- I had clicked "Apply" but wasn't aware I needed to close winecfg for the changes to be applied.

Thanks very much :)

Now for bonus points, is there any way to full-screen the virtual desktop and then later restore it to its previous window size?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You can set the virtual desktop to be the size of your real desktop to make it look fullscreen. As for "restoring," virtual desktops can be set per-app rather than globally, so the settings will not affect other apps in that wineprefix.
1337ingDisorder
Level 1
Level 1

Ok thanks, will fiddle around :)