COM port issues.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Niarbeht

COM port issues.

Post by Niarbeht »

I'm trying to run some old proprietary software which *barely* qualifies as being win32. It installs flawlessly, and has only minor draw issues when it comes to the main screen itself. Everything seems fine and dandy, except that Wine starts spitting tons of errors if I try to make the software talk via the COM port to the device it's supposed to talk to.

The error that gets spit out endlessly when trying to communicate with WINEDEBUG=-all prepending the command to run the program itself is:

Code: Select all

wine client error:132: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:133: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:134: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:135: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:136: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:137: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:138: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:139: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:13a: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:13b: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:13c: pipe: Too many open files
There is another error which it spits out when run without WINEDEBUG=-all but the program performs so horrendously when this is true that I am loathe to try it again.

I do know that WINE can communicate with the device over the COM port, however anything that actually tries to fully utilize the COM port seems to end in a pile of error messages. I'm going to try to get someone who understands the software and hardware better to get involved in communication here.

Hopefully someone out there has some ideas on potential workarounds or possible configuration issues which may exist with the computer itself.
Last edited by Niarbeht on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niarbeht

Post by Niarbeht »

fixme:comm:wait_on EV_RXFLAG not handled
vitamin

Re: COM port issues.

Post by vitamin »

Niarbeht wrote:I'm trying to run some old proprietary software which *barely* qualifies as being win32. It installs flawlessly, and has only minor draw issues when it comes to the main screen itself. Everything seems fine and dandy, except that Wine starts spitting tons of errors if I try to make the software talk via the COM port to the device it's supposed to talk to.

The error that gets spit out endlessly when trying to communicate with WINEDEBUG=-all prepending the command to run the program itself is:

wine client error:138: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:139: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:13a: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:13b: pipe: Too many open files
wine client error:13c: pipe: Too many open files
There is another error which it spits out when run without WINEDEBUG=-all but the program performs so horrendously when this is true that I am loathe to try it again.

I do know that WINE can communicate with the device over the COM port, however anything that actually tries to fully utilize the COM port seems to end in a pile of error messages. I'm going to try to get someone who understands the software and hardware better to get involved in communication here.

Hopefully someone out there has some ideas on potential workarounds or possible configuration issues which may exist with the computer itself.
What does

ulimit -n
say? Can you increase it and see what happens?
Niarbeht

Post by Niarbeht »

It says 1024

Will check man page and try to increase whatever that is.

Please include a LITTLE more info on what evils I'll be doing to my system :-P

This experiment isn't currently being run on a work computer, it's being done on my personal laptop.
Niarbeht

Post by Niarbeht »

running ulimit -n 10000 seemed to fix the first error message. However, the RX issue still spits unless I do WINEDEBUG=-all, and even then the program still runs incredibly slowly.

I DID get the program to talk to the machine, however, which is amazing. Performance is now an issue, and there seem to be some other issues going on, but I don't understand the system well enough to do much.