Portal 2 can't run setup EXE

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
razor7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by razor7 »

Hi, i have ubuntu 10.04 and Wine 1.3.17, but when i try to run Setup.exe i get an access violation.

Steps i followed:

Created folder /home/user/wine/Portal2

On terminal ran:
export WINEPREFIX=/home/user/wine/Portal2
winecfg
after that ran cd /media/Downloads/games/Portal2
and finally wine Setup.exe

I get this error "Access violation at address 00409B2A. Write of address 00400000."

Should I install something before with winetricks?

Please advise.

Thanks a lot!
vitamin

Re: Portal 2 can't run setup EXE

Post by vitamin »

razor7 wrote:Hi, i have ubuntu 10.04 and Wine 1.3.17, but when i try to run Setup.exe i get an access violation.
Just install portal 2 via Steam. However it (Portal 2) still doesn't work on Wine anyway.
razor7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by razor7 »

Well, I managed to copy the installed files from another computer.

In the untopuched wine prefix (don dx9, no vcrun2008), i can play the game with sound, but when i shot the portal gun, it crashes.

Steps to reproduce, shot the first portal, and then shot the second, and the game chrashes.

Any idea?
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

razor7 wrote:In the untopuched wine prefix (don dx9, no vcrun2008), i can play the game with sound, but when i shot the portal gun, it crashes.
Are you talking about Portal 1 or Portal 2 here? And are you using any outside patches for those games?
razor7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by razor7 »

Iḿ talking of portal 2, ass you can see it in the thread title.

I have used SKIDROW crack because my original version doesn't work at all. I managed to get the portal 2 patch 1 and SKIDROW patch but not tested yet, will post results lather.

Best regards!
razor7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by razor7 »

Well, tested the patch 1, but the result is the same, just after loading screen, the game crashes. Will test with fresh wineprefix.

Best regards!
razor7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by razor7 »

Hi. Tested with latest wine git, compiled, tryed the game with clean wineprefix, the game loads ok, the level is playable, but when oppening second portal with portal gun, the game crashes.

So I think that is no other option than whait.

Best regards!
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 5/1/11 6:00 PM, razor7 wrote:
Hi. Tested with latest wine git, compiled, tryed the game with clean wineprefix, the game loads ok, the level is playable, but when oppening second portal with portal gun, the game crashes.

How about a logging file then? http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log tells
how.

James McKenzie
razor7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by razor7 »

OK, away from my pc, posting log when available.
razor7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by razor7 »

Hi, executed again and saved log, and also installed dx10 with winetricks. the error persits.

LOG:
http://www.mgscreativa.com/portal2-dump.txt.zip
razor7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by razor7 »

well just in case, this is the commands i execute to run the game

Code: Select all

$> export WINEPREFIX="/home/martin/wine/Portal2"

$> env WINEPREFIX="/home/martin/wine/Portal2" wine "/home/martin/wine/Portal2/drive_c/Program Files/Valve/Portal 2/portal2.exe" +cl_showfps 2 -wavonly -threads 4
MihanEntalpo

Solution!

Post by MihanEntalpo »

Hello, i found this thread when searching for answer on question "Why portal2's etup.exe doesn't run?"

And i found solution!

Now hear: the setup.exe will die with "access violation on 00409B2A " if you are trying to run it from FAT32 or NTFS partition. I don't know why, but it is true. So, move the installer's files to the Linux-kind partition (ext2, ext3, raizer, on so on) and run setup.exe - it will start normally!

Yes, i know, the last message on this thread was written at May, but now it's Augest. I just want to help others, who will try to solve that problem.

Have a nice play, everyone!
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

If this issue is reproducible, please file a bug with all the inormation needed, including download link if there's a free demo.
bella10388

Post by bella10388 »

razor7 wrote:Hi. Tested with latest wine git, compiled, tryed the game with clean wineprefix, the game loads ok, the level is playable, but when oppening second portal with portal gun, the game crashes.

Best regards!
I also think so.
Rasmus09

Post by Rasmus09 »

Maybe you downloaded setup files to the Windows HDD part? I mean, on my laptop I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed with Windows, & I just moved setup.exe & other files for Portal 2 from my
media/windows/downloads/games/portal 2
to the other directory which is in the Linux's HDD part (for example, /home/downloads/portal).

setup ran successfully)

*sorry for my English, I could've made mistakes as it's not my native language.

Good luck!
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

This thread is almost a year old. Things changed.