No mouse cursor in setup programs

Questions about Wine on Linux
zenolijo

No mouse cursor in setup programs

Post by zenolijo »

Hello!

I have been using wine for a few years but got a problem after a reinstall of wine after a reinstallation of archlinux.
I have downloaded steam successfully and run some simple programs where the mouse works just fine, but when installing a msi from winetricks my mouse gets invisible everytime i hover over the setup window. In some cases, the window even gets all black.

I have successfully installed some msi files manually with the quiet mode flag from the commandline, but libraries such as DX10 and msxml3 do not have quiet mode for installation.

I have also extra checked that it is not a issue with my mouse cursor theme and tried different ones.

So, the applications that do not work currently are:
- Notepad
- Setups (DX10, msxml3)

Applications that do work:
- Steam
- Fullscreen DX9 games (Oblivion, Mirrors Edge, Borderlands 2)
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No mouse cursor in setup programs

Post by olivierfrdierick »

I don't think it's a mouse/cursor issue. It rather seems to be a window rendering issue.
Maybe you missed some graphical libraries in your archlinux reinstall?

Please, post terminal output of Wine when notepad does not work.
Also, try notepad with virtual desktop enabled.
zenolijo

Post by zenolijo »

olivierfrdierick wrote:I don't think it's a mouse/cursor issue. It rather seems to be a window rendering issue.
Yes it is, since some windows are fully black and do not even render at all (such as notepad, steam chat and steam friendlist) it pretty much must be.

olivierfrdierick wrote: Maybe you missed some graphical libraries in your archlinux reinstall?
This could be the case, i have only installed the nvidia package with it'sdependencies as well as lib32-nvidia-libgl. I have a 750ti card if that is makes any difference.
olivierfrdierick wrote: Please, post terminal output of Wine when notepad does not work.
Also, try notepad with virtual desktop enabled.
Notepad gives no output at all actually, and virtual desktop enabled from winecfg neither works and does not give any additional output from the console.
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by olivierfrdierick »

There is a similar thread on the archlinux.org forum that was solved like this:
I installed a boatload of lib32 packages and all of a sudden it fired up!

I also installed "pcsx2", which also installed some lib32 packages. So might've been either one.
There's a list of libraries used by Wine in the wiki that you might want to check.
Remember to use multilib and install libraries in i386 architecture if your linux is 64 bits.

Source: Half black wine windows with playonlinux and nvidia, LibraryDependencies - The Official Wine Wiki
zenolijo

Post by zenolijo »

olivierfrdierick wrote:There is a similar thread on the archlinux.org forum that was solved like this:
I installed a boatload of lib32 packages and all of a sudden it fired up!

I also installed "pcsx2", which also installed some lib32 packages. So might've been either one.
There's a list of libraries used by Wine in the wiki that you might want to check.
Remember to use multilib and install libraries in i386 architecture if your linux is 64 bits.

Source: Half black wine windows with playonlinux and nvidia, LibraryDependencies - The Official Wine Wiki
Thanks alot! Now everything works fine!

Installing the dependencies for pcsx2 fixed it!