ConvertXtoDVD, CloneDVD and AnyDVD

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
kotton
Level 2
Level 2

ConvertXtoDVD, CloneDVD and AnyDVD

Post by kotton »

ok, i'm new to linux. i've just installed the latest ubuntu and updated eveything. there were a few programs that i used often under windows that i wanted to continue with. they are ConvertXtoDVD, CloneDVD and AnyDVD. i have wine 1.1.0 installed and i have installed all 3 of those programs and added them to the Applications section of wine.
CloneDVD and AnyDVD both give the same error message when i try to start them " Failed to init ElbyCDIO" after some searching it seems that there is a .dll file that creates a virtual cd drive that will not work with wine?? secondly i can see in several places online that ConvertXtoDVD works with wine, but it will not start for me, i get a message on the taskbar that it is starting, but it disappears and then nothing??
any help would be greatly appreciated. i really don't want to dual boot just to copy dvd's or convert mp4 and divx files to dvd. any suggested alternative programs to these would be also appreciated.
thanks!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

According to the AppDB, AnyDVD doesn't work: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=6361
There's no entry for CloneDVD, but it sounds like it, too, won't work for the same reason.
i can see in several places online that ConvertXtoDVD works with wine, but it will not start for me, i get a message on the taskbar that it is starting, but it disappears and then nothing??

The AppDB says it does work. Open a terminal, cd to the directory where the executable is located, and run it from there. Post any messages that appear in the terminal.
any suggested alternative programs to these would be also appreciated.
DVD Shrink and DVD Fab HD Decrypter are both rated platinum.
kotton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kotton »

thanks for the reply. but i cannot open the dir in the terminal? i'm not sure exactly where it is so when i it's /home/scott/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSO/ConvertX/3 it says "No such file or directory". i'm not sure if i'm looking in the right place but when i open a new application in wine it points me to /home/scott/.wine/drive_c
thanks again
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

kotton wrote:thanks for the reply. but i cannot open the dir in the terminal? i'm not sure exactly where it is so when i it's /home/scott/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSO/ConvertX/3 it says "No such file or directory". i'm not sure if i'm looking in the right place but when i open a new application in wine it points me to /home/scott/.wine/drive_c
thanks again
Linux doesn't like spaces in file or directory names. Put single quotes around the path in the command line:

Code: Select all

cd '/home/scott/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSO/ConvertX/3'
kotton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kotton »

ok thanks. i copied that into the terminal and got
scott@scott-ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSO/ConvertX/3$
sorry for my noobness but how do i run the program from here?

i tried using the Alt+F2 and running the program from there, but the same thing happens, a quick splash screen of the program appears then disappears then nothing.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

kotton wrote:ok thanks. i copied that into the terminal and got
scott@scott-ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSO/ConvertX/3$
sorry for my noobness but how do i run the program from here?

Code: Select all

wine my_program_i_want_to_run.exe
kotton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kotton »

ok here is a copy of what i've done in the terminal. again the splash screen appears for a second then disappears.

scott@scott-ubuntu:~$ cd '/home/scott/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSO/ConvertX/3'
scott@scott-ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSO/ConvertX/3$ wine convertxtodvd.exe
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0xc8f83c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x838634) using GetSystemInfo()
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {51b4abf3-748f-4e3b-a276-c828330e926a} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {51b4abf3-748f-4e3b-a276-c828330e926a} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {51b4abf3-748f-4e3b-a276-c828330e926a} could be created for context 0x3
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {51b4abf3-748f-4e3b-a276-c828330e926a} could be created for context 0x3
fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x1003e 0x00000000
fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_ClientSideDIBCopy potential optimization: pixel format conversion
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {1643e180-90f5-11ce-97d5-00aa0055595a} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {1643e180-90f5-11ce-97d5-00aa0055595a} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {1643e180-90f5-11ce-97d5-00aa0055595a} could be created for context 0x3
fixme:quartz:AMGetErrorTextA (80040154,0xc8f8c4,255) stub
fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 2d1400 (device=2d access=0 func=500 method=0)
fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 2d1400 (device=2d access=0 func=500 method=0)

hope some of that means something????
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I downloaded the demo and tried it out myself in a clean wineprefix. I get the same messages in the console as you when I run it, but the program doesn't disappear for me, it works fine. I tested it with a couple of avi files, and it went through the conversion without any apparent problems.

As to why it works for me and not for you, the first thing that comes to mind is that I did install it to a clean wineprefix. Your unsuccessful installs of AnyDVD and CloneDVD may have borked your .wine directory.

Try deleting your .wine directory, and then run the installer for ConvertXtoDVD again (wine should automatically create a new .wine). (If you have something else installed that you want to keep, just rename the .wine directory instead of deleting it.)
kotton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kotton »

thanks very much for your help dimesio. i deleted my wine folder and reinstalled the program and now it works! you're a champ! only thing now is it's created another problem, when i run the program and begin a conversion it runs no problem, but if i minimize it or move to another desktop it disappears. it is still running as i can see the file it is creating getting bigger, i just cannot see the program anymore? any suggestions?
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

kotton wrote:thanks very much for your help dimesio. i deleted my wine folder and reinstalled the program and now it works! you're a champ! only thing now is it's created another problem, when i run the program and begin a conversion it runs no problem, but if i minimize it or move to another desktop it disappears. it is still running as i can see the file it is creating getting bigger, i just cannot see the program anymore? any suggestions?
What window manager are you using? Some known to have such a problem with Wine. Especially compiz.
kotton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kotton »

yeah i'm using compiz
darcy

Re: ConvertXtoDVD, CloneDVD and AnyDVD

Post by darcy »

kotton wrote:ok, i'm new to linux. i've just installed the latest ubuntu and updated eveything. there were a few programs that i used often under windows that i wanted to continue with. they are ConvertXtoDVD, CloneDVD and AnyDVD. i have wine 1.1.0 installed and i have installed all 3 of those programs and added them to the Applications section of wine.
CloneDVD and AnyDVD both give the same error message when i try to start them " Failed to init ElbyCDIO" after some searching it seems that there is a .dll file that creates a virtual cd drive that will not work with wine?? secondly i can see in several places online that ConvertXtoDVD works with wine, but it will not start for me, i get a message on the taskbar that it is starting, but it disappears and then nothing??
any help would be greatly appreciated. i really don't want to dual boot just to copy dvd's or convert mp4 and divx files to dvd. any suggested alternative programs to these would be also appreciated.
thanks!
I had the same problem as you and followed the same input you received and it fixed it. I was just wondering if you were able to get the ConvertXtoDVD program to acknowledge your DVD burner?

Darcy