Problems with wine, nvidia driver and fullscreen games

Questions about Wine on Linux
hellfire[bg]

Problems with wine, nvidia driver and fullscreen games

Post by hellfire[bg] »

Hi,

I'm writing about a problem i recently noticed with wine, nvidia gpu and fullscreen 2d games.Basically the problem is as follows - i am running arch with the latest kernel and nvidia drivers on Thinkpad T61 with NVidia Quadro NVS 140M. I have a problem with old 2d games like Red Alert 2, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Diablo 2, Heroes 3. All of these games do not support the native 1440x900 resolution of my screen and all of them work fine in window mode but crash if fullscreen is selected. I managed to get some of them working by making them work at higher resolutions. For example although Red Alert 2 does not support 1440x900, it can be easily made to work at that resolution and after i applied the necessary settings it worked. The same was with Heroes 3 - by default it does not support 1440x900 and it used to work only i window mode but there is a HD mod which allows it to run in higher resolutions and after i applied it it worked perfectly in fullscreen. I haven't thested Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale but i think it will work there too.

The problem is that i cannot use this approach to all games - for example i must run Diablo 2 and Starcraft in their original resolutions. I read somewhere that the problem is that wine can only change between the resolutions described in the xorg.conf file and if doesn't find the necessary resolution the game will crash or will only take the portion of the screen that is its resolution - for example when i play Starcraft rather than stretching it to the whole screen it simply takes 640x480 pixels of my screen and the game is displayed in the top left corner of the screen leaving everything else black.

I didn't have this problem before - it is something new though i'm not sure since when do i have the problem because i rarely play games. As for the idea that the problem may be related to the resolutions defined in the Xorg.conf file, my xorg.conf is automatically generated by the nvidia installer and there are no resolutions defined there.
vitamin

Re: Problems with wine, nvidia driver and fullscreen games

Post by vitamin »

Other people been having the same issues with arch. Reinstall newest nvidia drivers from their web site.
hellfire[bg]

Post by hellfire[bg] »

Hi, the 304.43 driver is already in the arch repository i think that this is the newest driver. Does it matter if the driver is installed from the arc repositories or by the official nvidia method?
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

hellfire[bg] wrote:Does it matter if the driver is installed from the arc repositories or by the official nvidia method?
Yes, it does. It appears to be broken / incorrectly packages in arch.