I can't install wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
cpt.expectron

I can't install wine

Post by cpt.expectron »

Sorry for my weak english, but i'm brazilian and don't know so much about the english language, allright, I want to use some apps from windows in my OS, Linux Debian, but when i'm installing the wine appear one thing: checking for -lfreetype... not found
configure: error: FreeType development files not found. Fonts will not be built.
Use the --without-freetype option if you really want this.

Configure failed, aborting install.
What i do now?
Thanks.
Chris-WF
Level 2
Level 2

Re: I can't install wine

Post by Chris-WF »

cpt. expectron,

it seems that you have to install the FreeType Fonts. So you should search with your packet manager about this free type packages and install them. I am not familiar with Debian but think that this is nearly the same as on Ubuntu.

The Error Message say that wine could not be installed or compile cause of the missing fontlibrary calling freetype. Just try to install this with your favourite packet manager or try this instruction:

$ sudo apt-get install libfreetype6

Hope this will install the Package that you need. If the Package-Name is little different from my suggestion this instruction will fail :/

But you could search your installed Packages with the Command

$ sudo apt-cache search freetype

for example. By the way, if you have problems with command line instructions, it could easier for you to check out playonlinux from playonlinux.com
This is a community that use some Scripts to compile and patch Wine for different Applications. You should Check out the Application Databases on playonlinux and here on winehq.org. Not all applications will run with wine anyway.
DanKegel

Re: I can't install wine

Post by DanKegel »