Game for Windows Live and Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Berillions
Level 4
Level 4

Game for Windows Live and Wine

Post by Berillions »

Hello,

I would like to know when "Game for Windows Live" will work with Wine. Wine's dev have an idea to join correctly GFWL in Wine?
Because more and more games work with this application.

Thanks and sorry for my english. :wink:
JeZ-l-Lee
Level 4
Level 4

Games for Windows Live and Wine

Post by JeZ-l-Lee »

Hi,

I agree.
Many Windows games use "Games for Windows Live".
"Games for Windows Live" does NOT work in current Wine.
When will it work?

Jesse

Berillions wrote:
Hello,

I would like to know when "Game for Windows Live" will work with Wine. Wine's dev have an idea to join correctly GFWL in Wine?
Because more and more games work with this application.

Thanks and sorry for my english. [Wink]

Freestate

Post by Freestate »

Yes is a pain in the ass.Now we have directx 9 compatibility at his best and the fu****g gfwl punch us!!
germiona22

Post by germiona22 »

Very funny :?
s3a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by s3a »

I also think this should be addressed since many games rely on this and I think many more will. Even if that weren't the case, the Batman Arkham series needs it so that should be enough motivation. :wink:
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Just my $.02 but I doubt Wine will ever work with GFWL. It is a moving target that is updated very regularly (so will break constantly even if it did eventually work) and requires an active internet connection to authorise (hence cannot avoid the updating process).

Would be nice if it just curled up in a corner and died 8)

Bob
s3a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by s3a »

You make a good point Bob, I didn't know that. So, then I suppose an alternative avenue should be explored such as making a generic GFWL like the generic Internet Explorer and Wordpad already in Wine. I don't know the details well so I could be saying stupidities but the point is, there is probably more than one way to get those games to work and we should look into it. Also, if Wine perfectly implemented the Windows API, wouldn't this constant updating of GFWL be irrelevant?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

s3a wrote:You make a good point Bob, I didn't know that. So, then I suppose an alternative avenue should be explored such as making a generic GFWL like the generic Internet Explorer and Wordpad already in Wine. I don't know the details well so I could be saying stupidities but the point is, there is probably more than one way to get those games to work and we should look into it. Also, if Wine perfectly implemented the Windows API, wouldn't this constant updating of GFWL be irrelevant?
The only work around is "hacks" that mimick GFWL so the phone back to MS doesn't happen. I refer you to GTA IV on AppDB, etc. for details of this. Probably the best direction to go - as GFWL is seriously the spawn of Satan himself 8)

As an example some games, such as STALKER: SOC, work reasonably well in Wine **today**. The Steam version works fully without any cracks, etc. It is in Valve's interest to keep the Steam client working with Wine (so Steam client updates are not "designed" to break compatibility with *nix/Wine). This buys the company "free market share" without Valve development costs.

But targets like IE6,7,8, although tightly with MS Windows might work **eventually**. These are "static targets" as updates are not forced (but desireable for security reasons obviously!!) However it is not in Microsofts interest to maintain Wine compatibility for GFWL - in fact quite the reverse (to retain their stranglehold on the PC games market w/ DirectX). Wine could fully implement the Windows API - but how it return the same hashs, etc. for operating system files?? So it will **never** fully support such products as GFWL, Punkbuster, etc. (that can use low-level access to files to verify that the OS is "genuine").

Just my personal thoughts - but probably true!

Bob
s3a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by s3a »

I agree with a lot of what you said :).

I think the solution is to use xliveless (for Linux). I haven't tried it and won't very soon since I don't have time for games yet but I've seen Linux/Wine success with Arkham Asylum saving on the Winehq database for that game in the comments section using that.

As for security of the Windows applications through Linux, I'd say it's a non-issue as long as Wine is not run as root. I still scan for viruses just in case but even if I install a virus knowingly, it is to my understanding that it will be (kind of or exactly?) sandboxed if run as user and all that needs to be done is to reinstall wine if such a thing happens.

For future reference, Wine WILL support the non-latest version(s) of GFWL at any given point in time such that I can use xliveless, right?