Black Ops and Use GLSL disable

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
_Exivion

Black Ops and Use GLSL disable

Post by _Exivion »

Hey guys I have everything pretty much working, no sound issues (fixed this by running the vcredist_x86.exe in the Redist folder then the DXSETUP.exe in the DirectX folder) But I'm having framerate issues I've read some people have fixed it by changing Use GLSL to disabled in the wine registry editor but every time I do this it seems to load up fine until I choose a class and then it says "fatal error" and freezes. I have an MBP 2.53Ghz NVidia 9600M GT with 512 VRAM and i've run other CoD games fine. Any help with the GLSL problem would be greatly appreaciated or if you have any framerate tips that would be great (mind you I have already tried yitch configurations and one by calijustice which I do like if I say so myself.) Thanks in advance.
vitamin

Re: Black Ops and Use GLSL disable

Post by vitamin »

_Exivion wrote:Use GLSL to disabled in the wine registry editor but every time I do this it seems to load up fine until I choose a class and then it says "fatal error" and freezes.
From CoD's system requirements:
Graphics: Shader 3.0 or better
Wine can only provide shaders v1.1 without GLSL.

If you have low FPS - get a new hardware, your card is a bit old for this game and just matches minimum requirements. Considering that Wine's d3d at best 30% of native performance your card is too slow.
_Exivion

Post by _Exivion »

So how would I get it to use shader mode 3.0?

On the wrapper I'm using it says system requirements are 2.4 Ghz and Nvidia with 256 vram. And other people have reported to get the framerate cleaned up with the use glsl disabled command with a mid 2010 2.4 ghz MBP using the same card if not a worse one, if it's truly that I need a new card then so be it, but can you atleast tell me how to get it running with Use GLSL disabled? Thanks in advance.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

_Exivion wrote:So how would I get it to use shader mode 3.0?
Enable GLSL.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

some GPUs just won't run certain games right in Wine if GLSL is disabled. Some other people might have had it fix an issue, but it doesn't mean it'll work for every machine.

Your much better off running a lower resolution and turning down/off some graphics options to get it to run better.
Thunderbird
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Thunderbird »

(On Nvidia GPUs we actually provide SM 3.0 when GLSL is disabled through GL_NV_fragment_program*/GL_NV_vertex_program)
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Thunderbird wrote:(On Nvidia GPUs we actually provide SM 3.0 when GLSL is disabled through GL_NV_fragment_program*/GL_NV_vertex_program)
All of SM 3.0? Or just selected parts?
Johnatan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Johnatan »

all, i believe. GLSL is disabled by default on Nvidia GPUs.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Johnatan wrote:all, i believe. GLSL is disabled by default on Nvidia GPUs.
Nope, it's enabled by default on all cards that support it (Nvidia & ATI with proprietary drivers).