V9 is not forwarding STDOUT/STDERR as V8 did

Questions about Wine on Linux
pickworthi
Level 1
Level 1

V9 is not forwarding STDOUT/STDERR as V8 did

Post by pickworthi »

I have a simple Windows .exe that produces output on STDERR and STDOUT
On versions of Wine up to and including version 8, running it with a 'wine' command would produce the STDOUT/STDERR output to the calling tasks STDOUT/STDERR handles.

As of Wine version 9, no STDERR/STDOUT output is produced when running the same command. Thus:

Code: Select all

ipic@ian2 ~/.config/steam-cellar/wineapps/system/cheatengine-test/pfx $ wine --version
wine-8.0.2
ipic@ian2 ~/.config/steam-cellar/wineapps/system/cheatengine-test/pfx $ wine /home/ipic/.config/steam-cellar/bin/proton-inline.exe 
wine: configuration in L"/home/ipic/.config/steam-cellar/wineapps/system/cheatengine-test/pfx" has been updated.

*** Running: 'Z:\home\ipic\.config\steam-cellar\bin\proton-inline.exe' - version: 2.1.1
*** No filename given.
*** Failed to process input file: ''
ipic@ian2 ~/.config/steam-cellar/wineapps/system/cheatengine-test/pfx $ wine --version
wine-9.9
ipic@ian2 ~/.config/steam-cellar/wineapps/system/cheatengine-test/pfx $ wine /home/ipic/.config/steam-cellar/bin/proton-inline.exe 
wine: configuration in L"/home/ipic/.config/steam-cellar/wineapps/system/cheatengine-test/pfx" has been updated.
ipic@ian2 ~/.config/steam-cellar/wineapps/system/cheatengine-test/pfx $ 
My program is the proton-inline.exe task above.

I suspect that there may be a new Environment variable in Version 9 to forward standard output.
Otherwise, is there a way for me to get back to the V8 behaviour with V9?

Thanks
pickworthi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: V9 is not forwarding STDOUT/STDERR as V8 did

Post by pickworthi »

I thought that I might see something by setting WINEDEBUG="+all"

With version 8.0.2, I can grep some of the text in the captured trace file:

Code: Select all

ipic@ian2 ~/.config/steam-cellar/wineapps/system/cheatengine-test/pfx $ grep 'version: 2.1.1' trace-8.txt
*** Running: 'Z:\home\ipic\.config\steam-cellar\bin\proton-inline.exe' - version: 2.1.1
ipic@ian2 ~/.config/steam-cellar/wineapps/system/cheatengine-test/pfx $
However, with version 9.9, the same grep yields nothing.

So, I conclude that WINEDEBUG also does not forward the running programs STDOUT/STDERR.
Can't think of anything else to look at - so any help appreciated.
Thanks
pickworthi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: V9 is not forwarding STDOUT/STDERR as V8 did

Post by pickworthi »

I have worked around this by using a relay log file to transfer output from my exe to the calling program. Quite the fiddle, since the caller had to be multi threaded to pick up the relay.

I am surprised, and puzzled, that this change from V8 to V9 has not been documented anywhere, at least that I can find.
In my many years of programming on various Nixes, it has always been assumed that standard output is THE way for processes to communicate one to another. Every shell has piping output at it's core.