WINE can't run a 16bit application in some Ubuntu 24.04 installs

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
rquint
Level 2
Level 2

WINE can't run a 16bit application in some Ubuntu 24.04 installs

Post by rquint »

I have also posted this on AskUbuntu without any replies.

I have a problem running an old Windows 3.1 era application (OED.EXE) using Wine 9.0-repack-4build3 on a fresh install of Ubuntu 24.04 using Wayland. On starting it up I get the error message
The program winevdm.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.
The Program Error Details begin with the familiar
Unhandled exception: page fault on read acccess to .... in 16-bit code
However, on Ubuntu 23.10 and Wine 9.0.0.0-mantic1 (WineHQ stable) the program runs correctly. I've created a 32 bit prefix and used winecfg to set the version of Windows to be Win 3.1. Other programs work with WINE including a circa 2005 Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Before installing WINE on my primary machine I had done a bit of fiddling, including adding and configuring some gnome shell extensions, and had installed a good bit of software including SageMath 10.3 with its massive dependency requirements. To try and isolate the cause of the problem I've created a VirtualBox VM for 24.04 with just synaptic, gedit and wine installed and then tried installing the OED.

It is running fine in the VM. Before I start flailing about installing all the stuff I have on my primary 24.04 machine on the version in the VM, does anyone have any experience with WINE and 24.04 that might point me toward what to try first to see what causes WINE to no longer run that one particular program? I have noticed some of the extensions (especially Desktop Icons NG) have some problems as well as other quirks instroduced with Gnome 46 and 24.04 (e.g., thumbnails aren't shown for files on the Desktop, running VirtualBox VM's are represented by a generic icon in the Dash, the file rename dialog crashes when using the left or right arrows on the inverted T on a standard keyboard for files on the Desktop, tho' it behaves normally in a Files window, the DMZ cursor themes show boxes when the cursor is over the Dash or Top Panel).
NicoRadioactive

Re: WINE can't run a 16bit application in some Ubuntu 24.04 installs

Post by NicoRadioactive »

I haven't been able to run any of my old windows 3 games using Wine at all yet. I've tried both Wine Stable and Development on Ubuntu 22.04 and 24.04 so I'd also be interested in hearing some tips than anyone may have on the subject. The games work fine on Windows 98 running on a VM.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

There has to be some difference on both systems, e.g. configuration or just the Wine version. If you find out what causes the issue, please report that issue.
rquint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rquint »

I'm sure you're correct, but without first creating a clone of my existing installation and then reinstalling from scratch I don't think I'll be able to find the cause of the problem. Except for the OED everything else is working fine and on every other machine and VM the OED works with WINE. I may just have to grin and bear it until it's time to install the next LTS release of Ubuntu.
909MJOLNIR

Post by 909MJOLNIR »

I think all of the Linux distros and Linux kernels and Linux kernel makers have been incrementally quitting all 32-bit support and even some Windows XP and Windows 7 winelike support.

I noticed that kind of problem with my 32-bit brambos programs which used to run on everything every time until 32-bit support was dropped officially. They might still run, but crash immediately and can't render WAV's properly anymore. I tried to talk to some people on an audio forum about it, but they kinda just heckled and bullied me because those excellent programs are so old.