Did upgrade to Fedora 40 using Winehq 39 repo

Questions about Wine on Linux
msetzerii
Level 2
Level 2

Did upgrade to Fedora 40 using Winehq 39 repo

Post by msetzerii »

Did an upgrade from Fedora 39 to Fedora 40 before the winehq 40 repo wasn't available yet.
Seem to go thru fine as is.
See the 40 repo is out, so changed the file to point to 40 instead of 39.

did update, and it didn't want to do anything.
Then tried reinstalling all wine* but it was showing it was going to remove wine-devel64 and install wine-devel?

Then tried just reinstalling winehq and it shows the below options?

Not sure what is best option to do? Have two other machines in same state a moment.
Thanks. Not sure why the size different is 76k to 192M winehq-devel to wine-devel and then removal of wine-devel64 of 697M

dnf reinstall winehq* --allowerasing --best
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:28 ago on Wed 22 May 2024 09:48:44 AM ChST.
Dependencies resolved.
=================================================================================================================================
Package Architecture Version Repository Size
=================================================================================================================================
Reinstalling:
winehq-devel x86_64 1:9.9-2.1 WineHQ 76 k
Installing dependencies:
wine-devel x86_64 1:9.9-2.1 WineHQ 192 M
Removing dependent packages:
wine-devel64 x86_64 1:9.9-2.1 @WineHQ 697 M

Transaction Summary
Install 1 Package
Remove 1 Package

Total download size: 192 M
dimesio

Re: Did upgrade to Fedora 40 using Winehq 39 repo

Post by dimesio »

The OBS has not enabled i586 builds for Fedora 40, so the Fedora 40 packages are "new WoW64" builds. There are no longer separate wine-common and wine64-devel packages, there is just wine-devel and winehq-devel. The build should be able to run 32 bit programs, but cannot run 16 bit programs. 32 bit OpenGL apps will have performance issues. Since the Fedora 39 packages worked for you, if you have a lot of 32 bit programs, you might want to stick with it.
msetzerii
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Did upgrade to Fedora 40 using Winehq 39 repo

Post by msetzerii »

Thanks for the quick reply and info. Have updated 3 of my machines to Fedora 40, and the new setup seems to work fine with allowed updates.
Have not yet updated my primary machine to Fedora 40, since do testing to make sure everything works. Generally only run Pegasus Email Client, and have a test setup on machine that works fine. My primary machine as a 2G directory with all emails. It is currently a 32bit app, but author is working on moving to 64bit. Irfan is only other windows program I sometimes use.
So primary machinie is still on Fedora 39 with the WineHQ 39 repo.

Thanks again for the reply and info.