Ubuntu (amd64) 16.04
Wine 1.9.15

After building Wine Dev 1.9.15 from source following this guide:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Biarch_Wine_On_Ubuntu

when attempting to launch wine --version, CLI responds with:

-bash: /usr/local/bin/wine: No such file or directory

wine64 --version responds:

wine-1.9.15-27-g6e32b61

I have verified that both the wine and wine64 binaries exist in /usr/local/bin and are executable.

Is anyone else running into this issue when attempting to build 1.9.15 from source? Any suggestions?
webjester

Re: Building From Source "No such file or directory"

Post by webjester »

Answering my own question, issue was resolved via installing the following:

lib32z1
lib32ncurses5
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@webjester

Well I'm not too familiar with building one half of Wine in an LXC. Since Gentoo provides a full multilib development environment (it's a thing) this is not anything I've ever needed to try... I do maintain a few Gentoo build scripts - for my Overlay - so I'm quite happy to have a crack and solving your issue!

I'd be inclined to think that your container was out-of-sync with the host OS. First thought anyway. The 32-bit Wine is linked with out-of-sync libraries that simply aren't there - when it's installed on the host OS.

What's the output from:

Code: Select all

ldd -v /usr/bin/wineserver /usr/bin/wine /usr/bin/wine64
If that's doesn't show anything obvious - then I'll need to pour over the full build logs. :shock:

Ta
Bob
brewmanz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brewmanz »

Ubuntu (amd64) 14.04
Wine 1.9.21 + latest git b53846b60b0d94000741e96fc4f24fd04344d54a

wine64 --version
gives
wine-1.9.21-71-gb53846b

Similar (not same) issue, building from same guide.
wine --version
gives
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory

However, installing lib32z1 & lib32ncurses5 did not fix it

Any ideas, anyone?
brewmanz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brewmanz »

*UPDATE* *FIXED*
I needed to close the terminal session and re-open.
Now both 'wine --version' and 'wine64 --version' work as expected, giving same response
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@brewmanz,

Glad to here you managed to get a build completed successfully!

Just out of curiosity - what method did you use to build Wine? The LXC one? How did you find it? Easy to setup?
I found just setting up an LXC (with lxc-create) failed immediately with an obscure error - not very inspiring!

Just I'm working a more general script for building multilib Wine & Wine-Staging on Ubuntu. The script I'm working on uses dual Chroot Environments (using the Debian schroot command) and is very automated/non-interactive. That method appears to work quite well. I'm still troubleshooting some minor bugs / general usability issues with another WineHQ forums member (who is the ideal test subject - being a very new Wine user). So it's definitely not production ready - yet!

I'll post a link, to the Github page, on this thread. Well once Jeremy, my test subject, has it working on his system!

Bob
brewmanz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brewmanz »

@BobWya

Yes, I used LXC, and the bi-arch guide was fiddly but straight forward. A script to run would be ideal.
I'm a software developer, mainly Windows and including Linux. In the past I've rummaged in DOS & Windows internals a lot; Linux not so much (although I did find a bug in GCC's handling of atexit back in 2000 when I was experimenting with DLLs/.so's).

Bryan
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

brewmanz wrote:@BobWya

Yes, I used LXC, and the bi-arch guide was fiddly but straight forward. A script to run would be ideal.
I'm a software developer, mainly Windows and including Linux. In the past I've rummaged in DOS & Windows internals a lot; Linux not so much (although I did find a bug in GCC's handling of atexit back in 2000 when I was experimenting with DLLs/.so's).

Bryan
Hi Bryan,

I pushed an update to my Github: build script - to build Wine/ Wine-Staging from Git - on Ubuntu (using dual Chroot Environments) a few days ago. The update contains a significant number of enhancements and bug fixes. However my other Ubuntu tester, Jeremy, has gone AWOL. :shock:

Currently Ubuntu users are in a second class situation compared to Arch and Gentoo - lacking multilib development support. So I'm simply trying to fill the gap - so 64-bit Ubuntu users can build and test Wine (or Wine-Staging) with custom or pre-release patches "relatively" easily. The script is about as automated as I can make it. Obviously it needs more documentation - but it would be helpful to get quantative feedback on what isn't obvious!! 8)

If you have time then please take the script "for a spin" and give some feedback (probably easiest to raise a Github issue - if it's a bug or feature request). Ideally I'd like to make a sticky post for the WineHQ forums - if people feedback that the script useful. I'll continue to port over features from the Gentoo app-emulation/wine package over time. I could also add a man page and a BASH completion script - not sure if they would be useful (especially without a deb packaging script)...

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya wrote: Ideally I'd like to make a sticky post for the WineHQ forums - if people feedback that the script useful.
A forum sticky to advertise a third party script would not be appropriate. Adding a link to the Third Party Applications wiki page would be fine.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote:
Bob Wya wrote: Ideally I'd like to make a sticky post for the WineHQ forums - if people feedback that the script useful.
A forum sticky to advertise a third party script would not be appropriate. Adding a link to the Third Party Applications wiki page would be fine.
Sure. That was more me musing out loud. It just seems to be an issue that comes up periodically... 8)

Bob