Prefix wine created .desktop files

Questions about Wine on Linux
ptkato

Prefix wine created .desktop files

Post by ptkato »

Is there a way to prefix, automatically, the names in .desktop files generated by wine? For example, I have installed the native version of Steam, and also installed it through wine and there's a problem, both are Steam and it's hard to know which is which, in the Gnome applications thing. Would be superb to have something like "Steam Wine".

Maybe it could be an option in winecfg.
anarki@butterblume
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Prefix wine created .desktop files

Post by anarki@butterblume »

The case you're describing seems to be rare - one would need to check if the native application is installed, which would take some efford to implement. Since you're probably not installing a pair of native and Wine application very often, it seems more natural to me manually renaming the .desktop file.

While you're installing Wine applications as regular user rather that as root, all you relevant .desktop-file should be located in $HOME/.local/share/applications

Regards
anarki
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Prefix wine created .desktop files

Post by Bob Wya »

Best dealt with by sed/awk script IMHO.
I typically create my own desktop files with the correct application category set - since the Wine created ones all use the annoying Windows lnk files. They also spam your start menus with uninstallers and all kinds of junk...

Bob