Monkey Island 2: Special Edition from Steam

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
edmicman

Monkey Island 2: Special Edition from Steam

Post by edmicman »

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit on a Thinkpad T500, I believe I'm using the integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics that come with it. I'm using the default WINE install, I think version 1.1.42. I'm trying to run Monkey Island 2: Special Edition downloaded from Steam.

It actually sort of works. It installed just fine. When I first ran it gave me a blank screen and that was it. Per the comments on the app page (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=20722), I installed and ran driconf and selected the enable ST3C option. Note: I haven't done the part with compiling or installing "libtxc_dxtn.so" yet.

After I enabled the driconf option, the game started, showed the initial LucasArts logo, had a flickering screen (one time this actually showed Guybrush tapping his foot...a waiting screen or something?), and then the main game menu came up. From there I was able to play the game. So I'm close, but still having these problems:

1) I can't get sound to work. I've marked the ALSA box in Wine config, and the test sound plays. But I don't get any sound or music when I am in the game.

2) For some reason it is now starting the game in a windowed mode. I swear the first time I did it, before I enabled sound in Wine, it was running fullscreen. There's no option to maximize, and I'm not seeing a config setting. Is there something somewhere I need to set?

3) I still occasionally have graphics issues. It seems like 1 out of every 3 or 4 times I launch the game, I just get the plain black screen. I'll close out, start it again, and then it'll come up. But still no sound.

I guess my questions are do I need to compile/do that ST3C stuff? What does that really do, and how will it affect the rest of my system? I'm just wary of messing with the graphics stuff on my machine because I've tried to enable the discrete ATI drivers before on my system and it killed xorg and everything...it was a pain getting things back to usable. So I've stuck with the integrated graphics, but they seem to work pretty well.

How can I get the sound to work? Is there any way to test what the game is doing or something? I'm not seeing any errors or messages reported in any logs, so I'm not sure where to start.

Any other suggestions or help or anything else I should try? Thanks for any info!
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

1) I can't get sound to work. I've marked the ALSA box in Wine config, and the test sound plays. But I don't get any sound or music when I am in the game.
I can confirm this but actually have not reported it because a new sound system for Wine is in the works, and I'm waiting for that. If you want sound to work now, you should probably post terminal output or make sure PulseAudio isn't running.
2) For some reason it is now starting the game in a windowed mode. I swear the first time I did it, before I enabled sound in Wine, it was running fullscreen. There's no option to maximize, and I'm not seeing a config setting. Is there something somewhere I need to set?
There's an option in the game to set it fullscreen.

As for your graphics, well, it works 3 out of 4 times, right? That probably means that it's a Wine issue from here. Once again, terminal output please.
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

DaVince wrote:I can confirm this but actually have not reported it because a new sound system for Wine is in the works, and I'm waiting for that.
The new sound system is not something that is going to be dropped in all at once. Changes are incremental, because that makes it easier to find and fix bugs. So it's important to report bugs when you find them.

There's already a bug report for alsa problems with another Monkey Island game: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19370
Try the workaround mentioned there. If it fixes the problem for you, it's the same bug.
edmicman

Post by edmicman »

Thanks for the advice! I'll try and post log output tonight, and try some of those tips, too.
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

dimesio wrote:
DaVince wrote:I can confirm this but actually have not reported it because a new sound system for Wine is in the works, and I'm waiting for that.
The new sound system is not something that is going to be dropped in all at once. Changes are incremental, because that makes it easier to find and fix bugs. So it's important to report bugs when you find them.
Oh, I didn't know that, because I didn't think it was possible that way (since something like the DIB engine did need to be dropped in at once, I assumed it went the same with this). I'll follow the instructions in your link too and see/report what happens, if edmicman hasn't reported the same thing already at that point.
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

Sorry, I seem to have misread something earlier - I'm actually confirming this for Monkey Island 1: Special Edition.

I assume MI2:SE it has the same audio engine since this is a series by the same creators. It seems that the bug report is exactly correct - I can only hear sound when the frequency is set to 44100 Hz and emulation mode.

I'll probably buy MI2:SE (for Steam) a bit later this month, but I'm pretty sure the problem and the fix should be the same for both games.
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

Sorry for the triple post.

I have tried playing the game through Steam and get a bit of a log out of it. I think most of the below belongs to the game and not Steam:

Code: Select all

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32cc40,0x00000000), stub!
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd (nil)
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd 0x1011e
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33bebc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
err:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_Reset Cannot change the device window yet
fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
Unfortunately, I can't see any audio problems right off the bat. The last fixme is unrelated because it gives me that with every Wine application, and it's not the sound output device I'm using anyway.

I tested with both latest Git and Ubuntu's wine1.2, there doesn't seem to be any difference in terminal output.

I'll post any further tests in the bug report (just finished testing with debugging symbols).