Subpixel font rendering in 1.1.12

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
onestone

Subpixel font rendering in 1.1.12

Post by onestone »

The announcement for Wine 1.1.12 says that support for subpixel font rendering has been added. The question is, how can we use it? Is there a way to enable it globally? (there's no such setting in winecfg)
vitamin

Re: Subpixel font rendering in 1.1.12

Post by vitamin »

onestone wrote:The announcement for Wine 1.1.12 says that support for subpixel font rendering has been added. The question is, how can we use it? Is there a way to enable it globally? (there's no such setting in winecfg)
It will be used automatically if your FreeType lib supports it.
onestone

Re: Subpixel font rendering in 1.1.12

Post by onestone »

vitamin wrote:It will be used automatically if your FreeType lib supports it.

I guess it does - all GTK and Qt based apps have antialiased fonts. Only under Wine are they still pixelated. The wineprefix is freshly regenerated with the new version.
Ansus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ansus »

I believe you should use font other than built-in Tahoma. Tahoma has pixmapped sizes at which it is not smoothed. You can try other font or non-pixmapped sizes of Tahoma.
onestone

Post by onestone »

Ansus wrote:I believe you should use font other than built-in Tahoma. Tahoma has pixmapped sizes at which it is not smoothed. You can try other font or non-pixmapped sizes of Tahoma.

Thanks, but that doesn't work either. I tried Liberation Sans, DejaVu Sans, and others - all are aliased.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

onestone wrote:Thanks, but that doesn't work either. I tried Liberation Sans, DejaVu Sans, and others - all are aliased.
See this bug: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16729
There are some registry changes you need to make.
onestone

Post by onestone »

vitamin wrote:See this bug: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16729

Ok, this worked. Thanks for pointing it. :P

P.S. I also had to install "allfonts" using winetricks in order to make the default dialogs font "smoothable". I guess Wine was looking for Tahoma, couldn't find it, and was substituting it with something else.
Xenokite

Post by Xenokite »

onestone wrote:
vitamin wrote:See this bug: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16729

Ok, this worked. Thanks for pointing it. :P

P.S. I also had to install "allfonts" using winetricks in order to make the default dialogs font "smoothable". I guess Wine was looking for Tahoma, couldn't find it, and was substituting it with something else.

Will i am a complete noob when it comes to editing. do you mind listing what you did to editing registy to fix the font problem?
loltsy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by loltsy »

Will i am a complete noob when it comes to editing. do you mind listing what you did to editing registy to fix the font problem?
Download the .reg file attached to the bug, run regedit and select import from the Registry menu.

If that doesn't work for you welcome to the club. Subpixel definitely isn't working for me and also anti-aliasing doesn't work at all for font sizes smaller than 20.