"Snuffler"

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

"Snuffler"

Post by David Hunter »

Hi all,

I am having an issue with a program that I use for work called "Snuffler". It's a freeware program that plots geophysical data into maps. I would provide the URL to the download, but just now when I've gone to find it, the website is offline... (Don't know why). Regardless, I have a copy of the .exe installer should anyone desire it for testing purposes.

Anyway, the program opens fine and runs ok (graphics are a bit shonky, but it's manageable - and that's all I really want from freeware anyway!).

The problem is that at random, the program - when run under Wine - becomes unstable (that is, it "encounters an unexpected error... [yadda yadda yadda that Windows error message crap]"). I am running Wine 1.1.32 on Linux Mint 7 (Ubuntu 9.04).

When I open Snuffler in a terminal, I only get one error message, and that's immediately upon start:

Code: Select all

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)
That's the only error message that I get, including when the crash occurs (which seems to be at random). This random crashing does not occur when it is running on Windows normally (so I can rule out a shonky programmer who made Snuffler!).

So I don't know if the above error message may be contributing to this issue. If so, does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for help given.
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

(bump).
Anyone had this issue?
vitamin

Re: "Snuffler"

Post by vitamin »

David Hunter wrote:The problem is that at random, the program - when run under Wine - becomes unstable (that is, it "encounters an unexpected error... [yadda yadda yadda that Windows error message crap]"). I am running Wine 1.1.32 on Linux Mint 7 (Ubuntu 9.04).
Post complete terminal output when the program crashes.
James Mckenzie

"Snuffler"

Post by James Mckenzie »

David Hunter wrote:
The problem is that at random, the program - when run under Wine - becomes unstable (that is, it "encounters an unexpected error... [yadda yadda yadda that Windows error message crap]"). I am running Wine 1.1.32 on Linux Mint 7 (Ubuntu 9.04).
Post complete terminal output when the program crashes.
If the output is lengthy, please use a site like pastebin.com.

James McKenzie
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Snuffler

Post by David Hunter »

Hi James,
David Hunter wrote:

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)
That's the only error message that I get, including when the crash occurs (which seems to be at random).
I only get that fixme line at app start up. Nothing else, not even at crash.

Thanks for your help.
vitamin

Re: Snuffler

Post by vitamin »

David Hunter wrote:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)

That's the only error message that I get
Install vcrun2005sp1 with winetricks. http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
Hurston

Post by Hurston »

Hi, I'm the author of this application, and not knowing much about Wine, I'd like some help with sorting this out so it doesn't happen again. The installer for this software contains the VC8 redist, so I was wondering why they are missing in Wine after install. Is this a quirk with Wine? Is there something I can do with the installer to get around this?

The website is missing because I'm having problems with my ISP. There is now a new site (http://www.sussexarch.org.uk/geophys/snuffer.html). Could someone update the app listing for me?

Cheers
Hurston

Post by Hurston »

vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Hurston wrote:The installer for this software contains the VC8 redist, so I was wondering why they are missing in Wine after install.

You need vc2005sp1 run time not vc2008.
Hurston

Post by Hurston »

VC8 is 2005, VC9 is 2008 (confusing isn't it)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Hurston wrote:Hi, I'm the author of this application, and not knowing much about Wine, I'd like some help with sorting this out so it doesn't happen again. The installer for this software contains the VC8 redist, so I was wondering why they are missing in Wine after install. Is this a quirk with Wine? Is there something I can do with the installer to get around this?
Your installer isn't installing it for some reason. There were msi errors in the console when I ran it. You should file a bug; if your installer installs it in Windows, it should in Wine, too.

Users can work around the problem with winetricks vcrun2005.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

dimesio wrote:Your installer isn't installing it for some reason.
Worked here with current GIT (the vcredist installer that is).

It could be a red hearing however... The version packaged has a newer version then manifest request and the policy to substitute the older version (8.0.50608.0) with the newer one (8.0.50727.762). It looks like Wine doesn't implement all nuances of assembly lookups. But I'm not sure how critical this error is... Things worked for me after all.
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

Hurston wrote:
The website is missing because I'm having problems with my ISP. There is now a new site (http://www.sussexarch.org.uk/geophys/snuffer.html). Could someone update the app listing for me?
Done.
Glad to see Snuffler's back up and running! :D
I also notice a new version, so I'll update my installation, along with the suggested winetricks fixes, and see how things go.

Thanks everyone. :)
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

vitamin wrote:
David Hunter wrote:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)

That's the only error message that I get
Install vcrun2005sp1 with winetricks. http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
Tried that. It said to install vcrun2005 trial first, and then install sp1.
The trial is 3.3 gig in size.

Downloading/checksumming Visual C++ 2005 Trial.  This will take some time!
Executing wget -O En_vs_2005_vsts_180_Trial.img -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/f/5/6f5f7a01-50bb-422d-8742-c099c8896969/En_vs_2005_vsts_180_Trial.img
--2009-11-12 00:46:27--  http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/f/5/6f5f7a01-50bb-422d-8742-c099c8896969/En_vs_2005_vsts_180_Trial.img
Connecting to 10.133.172.19:8080... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 3586727936 (3.3G) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `En_vs_2005_vsts_180_Trial.img'
Surely I am doing the wrong thing to have to download 3.3 gig worth??
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

Ah never mind.
Instead of "vcrun2005sp1", which I assumed was "vc2005sp1", I should have installed "vcrun2005", which in the description has "sp1" in it. lol.
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

OK during installation of v0.81 of Snuffler, I get the following messages, but all seems to work fine otherwise:

david@hunter-geophys ~/Desktop/Snuffler v0.81 $ wine Setup.exe
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x32f3ac) using GetSystemInfo()
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x33fb10) using GetSystemInfo()
fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"david" (nil) 0x32ed08 (nil) 0x32ed0c 0x32ed00 - stub
fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"david" 0x18f568 0x32ed08 0x18da18 0x32ed0c 0x32ed00 - stub
fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction unhandled standard action L"SetODBCFolders"
fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub RemoveExistingProducts -> 1 ignored L"Upgrade" table values
fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub MsiUnpublishAssemblies -> 4 ignored L"MsiAssembly" table values
fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub UnregisterExtensionInfo -> 6 ignored L"Extension" table values
fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub UnregisterProgIdInfo -> 6 ignored L"ProgId" table values
fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub RemoveShortcuts -> 3 ignored L"Shortcut" table values
fixme:msi:ITERATE_CreateShortcuts poorly handled shortcut format, advertised shortcut
fixme:msi:ITERATE_CreateShortcuts poorly handled shortcut format, advertised shortcut
err:msi:register_progid L"Snuffler Project" has no class
err:msi:register_progid L"Snuffler Map" has no class
err:msi:register_progid L"Snuffler View" has no class
err:msi:register_progid L"Snuffler Preview" has no class
err:msi:register_progid L"Snuffler Import" has no class
err:msi:register_progid L"Snuffler Data" has no class
fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub
About to try Snuffler itself and will post new test data on AppDB listing.
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

OK installing the vcrun2005 hasn't helped, screenshot is an example of the graphics issues I was having when I first started this thread.

But I do get the same terminal output as before:

david@hunter-geophys ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Snuffler $ wine Snuffler.exe
This appears upon starting Snuffler. No other error messages at all.

Screenshot is at http://rapidshare.com/files/305485354/S ... e.png.html

Will submit a bug report.

Re: Vitamin's suggestion of vcredist - I couldn't find vcredist in the winetricks list, so couldn't try it.

Thanks again.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

David Hunter wrote:OK installing the vcrun2005 hasn't helped, screenshot is an example of the graphics issues I was having when I first started this thread.
I doubt that has anything to do with vcruntime. Most likely some other things. Try native comctl32 (winetricks comctl32).
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

As per http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-1a8bea6 ... b3843e2fcf, I tried sh winetricks dotnet20, which allowed me to choose the 'repair' option (as I had installed it earlier by installing the ) and then reopened Snuffler.
Same errors in the terminal, but the graphics rendering for everything except the close, minimize and maximize buttons work perfectly.

Getting there...

EDIT: Just saw vitamin's post. Will try that now. Thanks.
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

Na, comctl32 just made things worse. Is there a way of uninstalling that and reverting back to how it was? Thanks.

I reckon the next thing to try may be mono19...
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

vitamin

Post by vitamin »

David Hunter wrote:Is there a way of uninstalling that and reverting back to how it was?
Remove comctl32 override in winecfg -> libraries tab.
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

Hi vitamin,

Sorry for asking silly questions...

But I lost my Wine entries (including the config link) in the menu when I upgraded to v1.1.32... how do I access the config screen via terminal?

Cheers...
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

David Hunter wrote: But I lost my Wine entries (including the config link) in the menu when I upgraded to v1.1.32... how do I access the config screen via terminal?
winecfg
David Hunter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by David Hunter »

Thanks dimesio.
While I'm at it (making menu links), do you know the command for the uninstall Windows programs utility?