Wine errors questions config etc

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
mckewl

Wine errors questions config etc

Post by mckewl »

. wine has the biggest issue with my programs that require a file opened.Ie porgram failed becuase cant open log file or can't find mfc42.dll . do i need to change media permissions ? I was told i could point wine to use xp's api and dlls how would i do that?

mc
vitamin

Re: Wine errors questions config etc

Post by vitamin »

mckewl wrote:. wine has the biggest issue with my programs that require a file opened.Ie porgram failed becuase cant open log file or can't find mfc42.dll . do i need to change media permissions ? I was told i could point wine to use xp's api and dlls how would i do that?

mc
Read the FAQ explaining what Wine is for your general education.

To fix your problem:

Code: Select all

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
sh winetricks vcrun6
Tlarhices
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Tlarhices »

Please don't try to link wine to a real windows installation. You might end up breaking both of them without solving anything.

The best you can do is to read the appdb page for the software you are using, it may have some explanations on how to solve your problems.
If there is no information or no corresponding page on the appdb or it doesn't solve your problem, come back here and give us the name of this application and an official site where we can download it (if any), the wine version you are using and your linux distribution (or any other OS you are using)

After going through this, we might be able to start asking you for the right information that can help us help you.

Note : Try upgrading wine to a more recent version if possible, lots of problems are solved at each new release.
mckewl

Post by mckewl »

so let me try and understand what wine is for. I have to reinstall my windows apps i like with wine to my kubuntu or pc bsd which are currently not loaded because of issues im having with windoze, turns out wondoze has its own issues. when i get pc-bsd back in ill have more questions.
Tlarhices
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Tlarhices »

To use wine you don't have to have a real windows.
Wine let you run software that you installed using wine.

Sharing installed software between windows and wine can have bad effects (missing files, missing registry keys, ...) and liking wine to your real windows will add into your windows installation files and parameters coming from wine (an (still) unstable, (still) incomplete, (still) under development windows API) risking to corrupt your real installation.