Gtk warning made xwine exit with fatal error

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
hussam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hussam »

Hello,

I am trying to use wine-0.9.25 on debian etch 2.6.18 (My objectif is to run office over my debian so i can abandon windows completly ... ).

When i try to configure the xwine through its interface, I get a 2 warning from Gtk :

- gtk_widget_size_allocate()

- locale not supported by C library

which make xwine shuts down due to a crach of process xxxx (segmentation fault).

( I tried to install office without running xwine, it start to be installed then it crash before finishing the installation)

I hope that my question does not sound too novice ( which i am because this is my first use of wine) but I searched the forums and did not found related threads.

I appreciate any help or directions to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:03 AM, hussam <[email protected]> wrote:
I am trying to use wine-0.9.25 on debian etch 2.6.18 (My objectif is to run office over my debian so i can abandon windows completly ... ).

When i try to configure the xwine through its interface, I get a 2 warning from Gtk :
xwine is abandonware, see http://darken33.free.fr/index.php?cat=4&rub=20
( I tried to install office without running xwine, it start to be installed then it crash before finishing the installation)
You probably want to use the latest wine, see
http://winehq.org/site/download-deb
For Etch, the latest packaged version is wine-0.9.58.

Which version of MS Office are you trying to use?
hussam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hussam »

Since xwine is an abandoned ware, I will just stop trying to make it works.

But i will not give up installaing office 2003 that easy ... By looking in the AppDB, I found out that you, Dan Kegel, is one of the maintainers of msoffice 2003. It seems like it works, although I am not the first one to have problems with the installer : http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=3214

I will follow the directions posted there to try to work it out. I am willing to post my test results (If i succeed) since I use Word and PowerPoint frequently.

Thank you Dan Kegel.
Timeout
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Timeout »

For Office you have to take 0.9.60.
At least Word is working without too much issues, installer of Office is OK.

However if you get the spellcheck to work on Word, it will only install for English + Wine language if wine's register has another language than English.
Manual installation of other languages for spellcheck may work, although I noticed that it is only checking for spelling and not for obvious grammatical error (like a space before a fullstop).

Word is unable to load the macros when you install a template in the autostart.
hussam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hussam »

Thanks, Timeout, I will install newer version of wine and try Office on it. I hope to be able to get the French spellcheck to work too. However, in in order to keep this thread related to its subject, I will post my test results or unreported problems ( If any, even though i rarely get thhigs to work from first try) in office 2003 threads.
Timeout
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Timeout »

hussam wrote:Thanks, Timeout, I will install newer version of wine and try Office on it. I hope to be able to get the French spellcheck to work too. However, in in order to keep this thread related to its subject, I will post my test results or unreported problems ( If any, even though i rarely get thhigs to work from first try) in office 2003 threads.
If you need the French Spellcheck, I can try to help you from the forum.
I installed it from a multilingual CD, however Grammar is not working, just Spelling in my case because I have a German O/S and setting Wine to French is not that easy.
hussam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hussam »

So far, office 2003 worked with the wine 0.9.58 version :). I will test it for a few days before posting the results.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

So far, office 2003 worked with the wine 0.9.58 version . I will test it for a few days before posting the results.
There was a bug in 0.9.58 that caused some fonts to always display in bold in Word 2003. That bug was fixed in 0.9.60.
hussam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hussam »

Yes indeed, dimesio, the fonts look a bit different ... but one can get used to that (I hope). For further discussion about office 2003, i suggest to use the already existing thread about it :
Office 2003 Service Packs