More than 50% performance decrease.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
sample

Post by sample »

I just installed Xubuntu 8.04, Wine 0.9.60 and Warcraft 3.

Ive set it so it uses OpenGL and in game i get less than 30fps with everything on low and a low resolution. On Windows i can run it on medium with 1280x800 at 60fps.

Im new to Xubuntu/linux so i dont know what could be causing it.

Is this expected from Wine?

Specs are 1GB RAM, Intel C2D 1.66GHZ, Intel 945GM onboard graphics.
vitamin

Re: More than 50% performance decrease.

Post by vitamin »

sample wrote:I just installed Xubuntu 8.04, Wine 0.9.60 and Warcraft 3.

Ive set it so it uses OpenGL and in game i get less than 30fps with everything on low and a low resolution. On Windows i can run it on medium with 1280x800 at 60fps.

Im new to Xubuntu/linux so i dont know what could be causing it.

Is this expected from Wine?

Specs are 1GB RAM, Intel C2D 1.66GHZ, Intel 945GM onboard graphics.
Make sure that you have disabled compiz. Also note that Linux Intel graphics drivers not as good as ones for windows. Also at best you can get 1/2 the performance on Wine comparing to windows.

So what you are seeing is pretty much correct.
sample

Post by sample »

OK thanks, a bit dissapointing.
billstei
Level 2
Level 2

Post by billstei »

Lots of funny video stuff going on with Ubuntu 8.04, check their forums. Gutsy's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Bill
ulberon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ulberon »

I would go here:

http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

Set VideoMemorySize.
And try different RenderTargetLockMode.

As a side note, the games always goto 100% cpu, and I have no idea why. All of them do this. I think removing the cause might achieve a speedup.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hello,

I haven't played WC3 for some time on my laptop with Intel Graphics but IIRC the OpenGL-stuff in wine was not that slow...
Also the intel-Graphics-drivers are not as good as in win, but in my expierience much closer to windows speed than most of the other 3D-Capable Linux-Drivers for your card.

So i guess it may be some configuration issue.
I do not use Ubuntu, so i don't know how ubuntu handles this by default, but as far as i can tell the Xorg intel-driver sets a quite small RAM-size by default.
In my case, on a Thinkpad X60s, the Intel-chip can reserve more than 200MB of RAM for its Graphics-rendering.
Xorg sets this value to 32MB by default IIRC.
So i guess you should ask Google for better Settings in Xorg for Intel chips.
I guess if you set at least 128MB Graphics-Ram, this should give quite an improvement ;)

greetings,
Chris

P.S.
May be dissappointing, but the Intel-Graphic-Chips are not top-Performers anyways. They're built for cheap and low-power eyecandy on the desktop ;)

"sample" <[email protected]> schrieb am 29.04.2008 23:59:
OK thanks, a bit dissapointing.
zeph7r

Post by zeph7r »

Cheers. To my experience, I would say I am 80% sure it's because you're intel graphics chipset. I have a X3100 (with a GMA965 chipset) and my experience is that much of the 3d opengl functions are still not implemented in mesa and for those who are, most still lack optimization routines. This doesn't mean intel's open source support is jerky (in fact it's perhaps the best in the graphics segment), but this family of chipsets (the GMA9xx) is rather recent, and only recently intel has managed to organize and release the proper documentation as to envolve the community and themselves in producing an proper open-source driver. So if you find this to be your main source of issues, I would recomend a little waiting :)

PS: in windows the drivers have a more wider support but have seen great increases in compatibility with some games (i.e. more 3d fuctions supported) only recently too (mainly since august 2007), and there are also some games which are still unable to run.
Tlarhices
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Tlarhices »

I have ubuntu 8.04 on a laptop with intel graphics. It's true that the driver are not high end, but the chip by itself is not design for power.
When I want to use a graphically heavy software/game under wine I do it without compiz (desktop effects) and pulseaudio, the performance difference is huge for multimedia/games software.