WineHQ
Wine Forums

Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help




 Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 



 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 am 
Offline
Level 2
Level 2

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Posts: 15
Location: normally in London or the South of England
This seems to be working for me now. It involved a little poking around so I have documented it on my bliki and here.

I started at wiki :: macosx :: Building so thanks for that. Since it was recommended to make a build from source and since I had to install a package manager of some description to get the source code I downloaded git as recommended.

My process
    * Download xcode, for 10.5, you need version 3.1.3
    * Download git (I think so, now not sure if its part of MacOSX 10.5)
    * Download the source using git, see wiki :: gitwine
    * 'make' the binary, use --disable-win16
    * link the xfree libraries to /usr/lib

The last line might not be the best way to solve the problem but I tested the install using ConTEXT and had xfree errors, but not now. Having had another look at the wiki page, theres some advice on using

DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH

which I didn't understand as pertinant because I am not a developer, which might make the next stage fun. Is this relevant to the xfree errors problem?

I'd suggest that the wiki page documents the --disable-win16 flag on make and if the link trick is deemed acceptable, that this is placed on the wiki page as well. Both these tips have been documented in previous threads, which is where I found them. Thanks

Otherwise not as painful as I'd thought.


Top 
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:01 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm
Posts: 12569
DaveLevy wrote:
I'd suggest that the wiki page documents the --disable-win16 flag on make and if the link trick is deemed acceptable, that this is placed on the wiki page as well. Both these tips have been documented in previous threads, which is where I found them.


So change it. The wiki can be edited by anyone.


Top 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:40 am 
Offline
Level 2
Level 2

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Posts: 15
Location: normally in London or the South of England
Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I have tested the impact of setting the environment variable DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH as opposed to using symlinks to access X11 libraries and would appreciate advice on a newcomer updating the wiki's MAC page.

The long environment variable, DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH, which I have found documented http://osxfaq.com/man/1/dyld.ws, does permit WINE to find the xfree font libraries, so we now have two ways of solving my problem, which related to the Xfree fonts.

I deleted my symlinks and then set the environment variable. I am using Context as my test program and this worked fine.

I have decided to use the symlink solution since I believe it to be more persistent and I am unsure that the wiki document is a good solution. I suggest that

Code:
export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/X11/lib:/usr/lib:${DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH}"


is better, possibly with a test to see if /usr/lib is already in the path.

The wiki makes no mention of the xfree libraries;it proposes using the hack to get at the OpenGL libraries. I was fooled because I am not a UNIX developer and believe this relates to Apple's proprietary link loader. (It might be part of BSD, but I didn't understand its relevance to my problem.)

I am prepared to make changes to the wiki page as suggested by dimesio above, but would again like some advice on ettiquette. This would be my first contribution to the WINE project in any way and am more used to led wikis such as media wiki or confluence where 'out of the blue' contributions are placed on a talk page or submitted as signed comments before being voted (in some way) to the front page.

I made the symlinks as follows,

Code:
sudo bash
cd /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/X11/lib/libfree*
exit


NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.


Top 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:46 am 
Offline
Level 2
Level 2

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Posts: 15
Location: normally in London or the South of England
I found the hint at http://forums.macnn.com not here.

Using the environment variable may solve for a broader problem set as I use more complex programs. i.e. it works for Context but not for the games I want to run.


Top 
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:53 pm 
 
DaveLevy wrote:
Quote:
NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.



Which trick? The DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH or adding the symlinks?

The first has been documented in several places, the second I have not
seen before.

James McKenzie


Top 
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:01 am 
Offline
Level 2
Level 2

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Posts: 15
Location: normally in London or the South of England
James McKenzie wrote:
DaveLevy wrote:
Quote:
NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.

Which trick? The DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH or adding the symlinks?

The first has been documented in several places, the second I have not
seen before.

James McKenzie


I found out about the symlink hack on this thread at http://forums.macnn.com. My second post above tried to correct the statement you quoted; I couldn't find an edit button, I was just trying to ensure I credited my sources.


Top 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:47 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm
Posts: 12569
DaveLevy wrote:

I am prepared to make changes to the wiki page as suggested by dimesio above, but would again like some advice on ettiquette. This would be my first contribution to the WINE project in any way and am more used to led wikis such as media wiki or confluence where 'out of the blue' contributions are placed on a talk page or submitted as signed comments before being voted (in some way) to the front page.


There is no such system here.


Top 
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 am 
 
dimesio wrote:
Quote:

DaveLevy wrote:
Quote:

I am prepared to make changes to the wiki page as suggested by dimesio above, but would again like some advice on ettiquette. This would be my first contribution to the WINE project in any way and am more used to led wikis such as media wiki or confluence where 'out of the blue' contributions are placed on a talk page or submitted as signed comments before being voted (in some way) to the front page.


There is no such system here.

All Wiki entries are subject to additions/deletions and overwriting at any time. All entries are subject to peer review as well. However, if you find incorrect information, please update it as well. The Wiki is way out of date in some areas and needs to be updated to current status with improved information. You do NOT need to go before a 'board' to get approval here to update the Wiki. Please be aware if you attempt to spam the Wiki, that there are backups of the Wiki pages so we can restore them (at least from what I understand as several pages had to be rolled back.)

James McKenzie


Top 
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:10 am 
 
DaveLevy wrote:


Quote:
James McKenzie wrote:
Quote:
DaveLevy wrote:

Quote:
NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.


Which trick? The DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH or adding the symlinks?

The first has been documented in several places, the second I have not
seen before.

James McKenzie


I found out about the symlink hack on this thread (http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative ... ine-wants-
freetype-font-library/) at http://forums.macnn.com. My second post above tried to correct the statement you quoted; I couldn't find
an edit button, I was just trying to ensure I credited my sources.

Thank you for providing the source of your information. I will attempt to get to the MacNN forums to review other ideas as well.

James McKenzie

Quote:


Top 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:22 pm 
Offline
Level 2
Level 2

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Posts: 15
Location: normally in London or the South of England
Is this a run time issue only, or does setting the environment variable before the build help in any way?


Top 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:38 am 
Offline
Level 8
Level 8

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:21 pm
Posts: 1227
DaveLevy wrote:
Is this a run time issue only, or does setting the environment variable before the build help in any way?


run time issue... doesn't matter how it was built.


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 




Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: macchinetta and 6 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: