Wine laggy in steam apps.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
PsYcO~KJ

Wine laggy in steam apps.

Post by PsYcO~KJ »

Ok well I got wine working, now im just wondering if there is a way to get Steam apps running a lil smoother, its jumpy/laggy.

is there a way to fix this, or is it just an issue that has yet to be resolved, as its hard to detect the reason why?

ok well i was going through trying to install wine, but couldnt get it to install or anything, so then i found a script to install it, it installs, but idk what is wrong now.

i type "/usr/local/bin/winecfg" into my terminal to configure wine, and i get this "Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
The X11 driver is missing. Check your build!
err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 126" what do i need to do to start wine?

or do i just need to say insert my coounterstrike cd and right-click the setup.exe or autorune.exe file on the cd?
Last edited by PsYcO~KJ on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Kegel

Wine error?

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 2:45 PM, PsYcO~KJ <[email protected]> wrote:
ok well i was going through trying to install wine, but couldnt get it to install or anything, so then i found a script to install it, it installs, but idk what is wrong now.

i type "/usr/local/bin/winecfg" into my terminal to configure wine, and i get this "Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
The X11 driver is missing. Check your build!
err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 126" what do i need to do to start wine?

or do i just need to say insert my coounterstrike cd and right-click the setup.exe or autorune.exe file on the cd?
Why are you trying to build wine from source?
It's much easier to install prebuilt packages.
PsYcO~KJ

Post by PsYcO~KJ »

ok, didnt know that, first day with Linux, just wanting to run counterstrike to rag on friends that want to use 4 gig ram, but dont wanna buy a new os to do so.

well i went through and used this thread to reinstall wine

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=624644

when i typed in " sudo apt-get update" i got this

Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016) gutsy Release.gpg

Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016) gutsy/main Translation-en_US

Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016) gutsy/restricted Translation-en_US

Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016) gutsy Release

Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016) gutsy/main Packages

Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016) gutsy/restricted Packages

Err cdrom://Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016) gutsy/main Packages

Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

Err cdrom://Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016) gutsy/restricted Packages

Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

then went thru n did some things, no error type readings, then I got this

Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)]/dists/gutsy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)]/dists/gutsy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Reading package lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

then i finished up with upgrade and install, with no other errors.

soi went ahead, and typed "wineconfig" to try n configure wine, and got this

The program 'wineconfig' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install kde-guidance
bash: wineconfig: command not found

typed what it told me too, went ahead and tried to install CS form the cd, and all is going well so far

well once i installed steam first, counterstrike is now installing, just asked for disc #2,

ok well now it wont let me eject the cd, says an application is preventing cs1 from ejecting, or something to that matter.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

PsYcO~KJ wrote:when i typed in " sudo apt-get update" i got this
Sorry but this has nothing to do with Wine. Looks to me like your system is hosed. Ask on ununtu forums/irc how to configure it properly.
PsYcO~KJ

Post by PsYcO~KJ »

ok ty vitamin, i have been updating posts on each forum as i go, incase someone were to be able to help on one forum, and not the other.

now i know what is wrong, ill be here later more then likely with some questions.
PsYcO~KJ

Post by PsYcO~KJ »

Well i got Wine running and working, a temp-fix for me is to just unplug the drive, remove cd manually, and insert new one, close, hook it back up, and good to go.