Help. dll not found

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
kgriff

Help. dll not found

Post by kgriff »

I am trying to get a program, Nova Development Photo Explosion, running under Wine for my wife. I was unable to install the program from CD under Wine. I could see the installer pop-up begin, then I'd get a black screen. ESC would exit Wine and dump me back to my terminal. There were no terminal messages.

I installed the program in Windows, then moved the program folder and all registry entries to Wine. As near as I can tell so far, all .dll's for the program reside in the program directory.

Now, when I execute
wine "c:\\Program Files\\xxxxxxxx.exe"
I get a whole list of errors in terminal that go something like,

err:module:import_dll Library GViewer.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Nova Development\\Photo Explosion Deluxe\\Ipe40.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library IpeFrame.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Nova Development\\Photo Explosion Deluxe\\Ipe40.exe") not found

I believe, although I haven't examined every one, that this list contains every .dll in the program directory.

At this point, how do get the program to recognize the location of the .dll's?
Ove Kaaven

Help. dll not found

Post by Ove Kaaven »

kgriff skrev:
At this point, how do get the program to recognize the location of the .dll's?
"cd" to the program's directory first.
kgriff

Post by kgriff »

I did as you suggested, but still get the same messages. Anything else I can try?
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

kgriff wrote:I did as you suggested, but still get the same messages. Anything else I can try?
Which directory are you in? Run 'pwd' to check. Are you sure you have those dlls in that directory? To verify run 'ls -la'.
kgriff

Post by kgriff »

Well, I got past that issue. The problem turned out to be two Windows native dll's, msc42.dll and msvcp60.dll. I couldn't figure out how to see the whole list of errors in my terminal window. (I'm quite new to Linux and Wine) Once I figured that out, I just worked from the first error down. Once I moved both of those dll's from my windows installation system32 directory to the wine system32 directory, things improved some. Now, when I run the program, it attempts to execute, but then I get a pop up window with,
"Unable to read version information from file C:\Program Files\Nova Development\Photo Explosion Deluxe\Ipe40.exe, insufficient memory or low system resources"

I've seen posts with error messages similar to this one, so I'm now trying to look into the cause of this error.
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Help. dll not found

Post by austin987 »

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM, kgriff <[email protected]> wrote:
Well, I got past that issue. The problem turned out to be two Windows native dll's, msc42.dll and msvcp60.dll. I couldn't figure out how to see the whole list of errors in my terminal window. (I'm quite new to Linux and Wine) Once I figured that out, I just worked from the first error down. Once I moved both of those dll's from my windows installation system32 directory to the wine system32 directory, things improved some. Now, when I run the program, it attempts to execute, but then I get a pop up window with,
"Unable to read version information from file C:\Program Files\Nova Development\Photo Explosion Deluxe\Ipe40.exe, insufficient memory or low system resources"

I've seen posts with error messages similar to this one, so I'm now trying to look into the cause of this error.
Can you try:
$ wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
$ sh winetricks vcrun6

And see if things improve?
kgriff

Post by kgriff »

Unfortunately, winetricks vcrun6 did not change anything. Thanks, though, for the clue to winetricks. I did not know that was out there. Could be pretty useful.