StarAlliance TravelDesk (PC-based timetable app)

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules

Post by 298 »

The StarAlliance airline network used to have a Windows 3.x-ish timetable program that worked very well under Wine. Now they replaced it by something more fancy and Wine (0.9.59) cannot handle it. The application installs fine, starts up, but then it's frozen. You cannot enter any text in the search boxes and you cannot move the scrollbars.

Can someone help me to get this going?

You can download the application here:
http://st.flightlookup.com/StarDownload/pc.html
It's free, no registration or anything required.

And the error messages that Wine spits out are here:
http://www.pastebin.ca/980568
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:06 PM, 298 <[email protected]> wrote:
The StarAlliance airline network used to have a Windows 3.x-ish timetable program that worked very well under Wine. Now they replaced it by something more fancy and Wine (0.9.59) cannot handle it. The application installs fine, starts up, but then it's frozen.
http://st.flightlookup.com/StarDownload/pc.html
Thanks for the problem report.

Until a real fix is available, you might try using it with ies4linux.
- Dan

Post by 298 »

I've tried to run it with ie4linux installed and without, but that does not make a difference.

The application's GUI is actually done in HTML. I can load it into a browser, it will display correctly, but the 'search' button, which is the key element in this app, won't do anything because the browser doesn't recognize 'fml'. I've tried this with Firefox and IE in Windows and also with Firefox and ie6 in Linux. The results are the same. I also wanted to try loading the GUI into wine iexplore, but I got nowhere. Does this even understand file URLs? I couldn't even load a simple html file.

Clueless me also tried to replace some of DLLs mentioned in the errors with native ones, but that made things worse (blank screen, crashes).

I there anything I could try to make this application work or at least narrow down where the problem is?
qwertymn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by qwertymn »

hi , i gave this thing a try and the search buttom worked for me using various windows dllls. I copied the following dlls over from my xp partition:
shdocvw.dll
shlwapi.dll
urlmon.dll
mshtml.dll
mshtmled.dll
mshtml.tlb
jscript.dll
MSLS31.DLL
mlang.dll

Set shlwapi,mshtml,shdocvw,urlmon,mlang to native.
Do 'regsvr32 mshtmled.dll'

I was able to search for flights from one place to another, but i guess a lot needs to be investigated more.
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 5:06 PM, qwertymn <[email protected]> wrote:
hi , i gave this thing a try and the search buttom worked for me using various windows dllls. I copied the following dlls over from my xp partition:
shdocvw.dll
shlwapi.dll
urlmon.dll
mshtml.dll
mshtmled.dll
mshtml.tlb
jscript.dll
MSLS31.DLL
mlang.dll

Set shlwapi,mshtml,shdocvw,urlmon,mlang to native.
Do 'regsvr32 mshtmled.dll'

I was able to search for flights from one place to another, but i guess a lot needs to be investigated more.

Filed a bug here:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12518

Post by 298 »

Thanks, qwertymn, that sounds promising. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it. I started off with a clean installation of Wine, then installed TravelDesk, then copied the DLLs from Windows XP SP2 into .wine/.../system32, registered all DLLs that let themselves register, specified the ones you mentioned as native for TravelDesk (not default). When I start TravelDesk, it crashes before the GUI shows up. The crash log is here.

What are the differences between our systems? I'm running Wine 0.9.59 on Ubuntu 7.10 and currently I have nothing else installed in Wine. The Windows version is set to XP. I also tried the same on a second machine with Crossover using a clean XP bottle. Same problem.