Getting programs to detect my soundcard

Questions about Wine on Linux
Fredczhy
Level 1
Level 1

Getting programs to detect my soundcard

Post by Fredczhy »

I have a problem, that some programs don't detect my soundcard. Sound works fine in others, but they don't detect it, and refuse to start because of it.
Usually the crash logs tell me to make sure that the sound card is enabled, and when listing the hardware, everything else is correctly listed, except the sound card , which shows like:

Code: Select all

Sound :  () 
How can I configure wine, so that the program detects the soundcard , or at least identifies the it as some other soundcard (I have a Realtek AC 97, but if it would identify, as some other soundcard, the program would start). I also did a search the matter, but couldn't find a solution.
vitamin

Re: Getting programs to detect my soundcard

Post by vitamin »

Fredczhy wrote:I have a problem, that some programs don't detect my soundcard.
Wine doesn't talk to sound card directly but via ALSA/OSS drivers.

If sound is working for you for native Linux programs, then you have some program that uses sound card in exclusive mode. Most likely that's a sound server like pulse audio. See sticky post for more details on what to do with that.
Fredczhy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fredczhy »

Sound works for native Linux applications, and for programs that I run through wine. The problem is a program, that refuses to start, because it doesn't detect a soundcard (it checks, to see that everything necessary is present, but doesn't find the soundcard). Sound works perfectly for other programs, that I run through wine, or natively. I have also closed all programs, that take exclusive use of the soundcard.
qwertymn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by qwertymn »

is the program free, so we could test it ourselves?
Fredczhy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fredczhy »

No its commercial. There doesn't seem to be a demo version either.
Berndie

Post by Berndie »

I have the same issue with the Windows program Synthfont. According WineBug it has serveral tested states and shall run...
Its free to download at http://www.synthfont.com
If I start it, synthfont will detect my device, but doesn't find it, so that I can't use it under wine. :(
ALSA driver are enabled in winecfg.
Other windows applications like VSThost.exe are running fine on it.
Any ideas what can be wrong?
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

the usual advice would be to get latest wine, run from command line, post terminal output. If it still wouldn't work, file a bug. There's active work on wine's sound system, so your bug may likely get some attention in the near future, but even then it might take some time, until the bug gets fixed. If there's a free demo, the better, if not, you may be asked to run wine with some debug traces enabled.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Berndie: you didn't mention what distro you are using or where you got Wine. If you are using the Ubuntu Wine packages, report all sound problems to them. The Ubuntu packages include modifications to Wine's sound system that are not supported here.
Defiantone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Defiantone »

Yes I am having somewhat of the same problem here..
Wine Does not detect my sound card.
I start winecfg from terminal and as soon as I click on the Audio Tab I get this

err:mmdevapi:DllGetClassObject Driver initialization failed
err:ole:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error 0x80004005
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1

So I do a search in the Registry and find
HKEY_Classes_ROOT\CLSID\bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e MMDeviceEnmerator
>\InprocServer32.. C:\windows\system32\mmdevapi.dll
ThreadingModel >Both

So is Wine getting confused as to What it should be using.. Either Alsa or Pulseaudio