Bugs not triggering if forget to run winecfg

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
phual
Level 1
Level 1

Bugs not triggering if forget to run winecfg

Post by phual »

I just updated to version 0.9.59 and decided that it was time to do a proper retest of one of my apps (DVD Profiler). I was quite chuffed when I ran the install and some of the bugs seemed to have been squashed, but I was suffering from the recent task bar issue (bug 12362) so decided to retest.

When I ran the retest, I realised that I had forgotten to run winecfg before installing my app the first time. However, repeating the test WITH running winecfg before installing the app led to my old bugs occurring as in earlier wine versions.

My questions then are:

1) Should winecfg still be run before installing the first app (to create the .wine directory etc.)?
2) If this hasn't changed, then how on earth am I getting better results by doing it incorrectly (and what's the best thing to do about it)?!? :?

Standard procedure I used for installing the app (very simply):

a) Delete old .wine directory
b) Run winecfg (which I forgot the first time)
c) Run setup.exe
d) Run app
e) Test
f) Repeat steps a-e for retest.

The main bug that smacked me in the face (or rather didn't) was 8460 to do with Tahoma font and "Invalid Floating Point Operation"s.

Stuart
vitamin

Re: Bugs not triggering if forget to run winecfg

Post by vitamin »

phual wrote:1) Should winecfg still be run before installing the first app (to create the .wine directory etc.)?
No. If you don't have $HOME/.wine directory it will be created automatically by 'wineprefixcreate' when you run Wine. This is even before you get to start anything (be it winecfg or your setup.exe)
phual wrote:Standard procedure I used for installing the app (very simply):
Create a step-by-step procedure that can reproduce one bug at a time EVERY TIME. Add that to your bug report. Having loads of problems with no clear way to reproduce them doesn't help developers to fix the problem.

As a workaround indicated in the bug report use tahoma.ttf from windows.
Dan Kegel

Bugs not triggering if foret to run winecfg

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:24 PM, phual <[email protected]> wrote:
1) Should winecfg still be run before installing the first app (to create the .wine directory etc.)?
No. We never really needed that. You can run wineprefixcreate if you like,
but the .wine directory will be created on demand.
2) If this hasn't changed, then how on earth am I getting better results by doing it incorrectly (and what's the best thing to do about it)?!? :?
Luck? :-) Go ahead and update your bug report with this info if it's
reproducible.
- Dan
phual
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phual »

No.
Hmm. I just checked the wiki / user manual and it says a few times to include winecfg as part of the installation process (http://winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/introduction and the general page-turning of the manual). A case of RTFM and then ignore it? :roll:

Seriously though, isn't it a problem if the manual that we're supposed to be directing people to is giving misleading information, especially if it is triggering false bugs? With the influx of noobs since the forum and the upcoming v1.0 release, it sounds like documentation deficiencies may have the potential to trigger significant additional work depending on the true accuracy.

Stuart[/url]