Need help connecting to MSSQL, program CAN see the db

Questions about Wine on Linux
rob215x

Need help connecting to MSSQL, program CAN see the db

Post by rob215x »

I'm trying to help a friend get an old database program running on Linux. He's an hour away so I go down there on Sundays. I ALMOST have the program working but it just won't connect to the database.

Here's what I have so far, let me know if you need any more details.

- The original software has a MSSQL database running on a Windows Server 2003 machine on his local network.
- The client software works on Windows XP or Windows 7. I have it working on a Windows 7 machine so I should be able to copy any settings I need.
- The Linux machine is running the latest version of Manjaro with XFCE. I installed it but I don't have the machine in front of me, so if you need details, I can give those tomorrow.
- I installed the latest version of Wine last week, so everything should be up to date.

I took a few notes so here's what I did:

Code: Select all

$ export WINEARCH=win32
$ winetricks atmlib gdiplus msxml3 msxml6 vcrun2005 vcrun2005sp1 vcrun2008 ie6 fontsmooth=rgb gecko
I ran the installer but it stopped with the error:
"Setup was unable to load the following DLL: C:\users\user\Temp\{...}\_mxuser.dll"

So I fixed that with:

$ winetricks mfc42
Then it asks for the registration information and that all worked.

Next, it looks for the database on the network, but it couldn't find one and it eventually times out and says you need to have a running database etc etc.

I found this page:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_G ... BC_drivers

I couldn't find a mdac_typ.exe online that looked legit, but I found one on my friend's MSSQL server!

I copied it to the local wine folder and tried:

$ wine MDAC_TYP.EXE
but I got ""This setup does not support installing on this operating system" so I'm not sure if that was a Windows issue or a Wine issue.

Next, I tried:

$ winetricks mdac27
That seemed to install just fine so I did:

$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
$ wine cliconfg.exe
$ wine odbcad32.exe
I copied the settings from the real Windows 7 machine

Now I tried the installer again, and this time IT FOUND THE DATABASE!!
- it has a little window that lists any databases it finds on the network, and it found a test database I made a while ago when we were trying to get this software working, and it found the actual working database as well!

So I thought I was home free! But no... I select the database and click Next...

Then in my Linux terminal, I just get a ton of these...

GnuTLS error: No or insufficient priorities were set.
It just seems odd that it can SEE the database but can't connect to it? I'm not sure what to do next.

At first, I thought it might be because the Windows network has a username and password but on the Linux side I already have the server mapped to drive R, and in Wine I CAN open the shared R drive.

I don't know what to try next. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'll be down at his place tomorrow, Sunday 28 April.

Thanks!
rob215x

Re: Need help connecting to MSSQL, program CAN see the db

Post by rob215x »

I'm here at my friend's place and I'm trying to copy info FROM odbcad32.exe on the real Windows 7 machine TO the same panel on wine. Here's a screenshot of what it does when I try to connect...
Screenshot_2024-04-28_18-31-33.png
rob215x

Re: Need help connecting to MSSQL, program CAN see the db

Post by rob215x »

Next, I tried creating a new connection with the ODBC panel, since I have a username and password for the MS SQL server. While it still failed as before, I saw some new items in the terminal window I had not seen before...
Screenshot_2024-04-28_19-39-27.png
If anyone has any suggestions for what to try next, I would love it!!

thanks! :D