Where do you extract the Wine archive in Linux?

Questions about Wine on Linux
GAPStar88
Level 1
Level 1

Where do you extract the Wine archive in Linux?

Post by GAPStar88 »

How do you manually install Wine in Linux? I know where to find the archive files but I do not know where to extract the files. I know that I can always install Wine via the Terminal but I do want to know where can I extract the Wine program if it is not possible. How do I do this?
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Where do you extract the Wine archive in Linux?

Post by invisible kid »

So it's a bit hard to answer this without more info. If you are using a distro, there is probably a package you could install via the package manager such as apt-get. This is usually the best bet. If you are trying to manually install a .deb package, you would install it at the root level /. If you are trying to install it from the source packages, it doesn't really matter where you put the source, it will install it to the correct spot at installation, but the most used locations are /usr/local/src or /usr/src.
GAPStar88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GAPStar88 »

I am mostly using a distro called Debian 12 Bookworm on my Chromebook Virtual Machine. I was looking to where to extract the package that I get from those .txz file archives on this site. I wanted to manually upgrade as opposed to using the Terminal as it seems like I cannot use certain programs on Wine 9.0.
axet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by axet »

You can install wine via apt-get install wine; or install it into /opt or $HOME folders.
GAPStar88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GAPStar88 »

That is where is where you can extract the Wine files?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The tar.xz files contain the source code for building Wine, not binaries. You can extract the source code anywhere you like, but then you have to build Wine. You cannot simply extract the files and install them.