I've found an issue and potential solution

Questions about Wine on Linux
Pieman

I've found an issue and potential solution

Post by Pieman »

Hi all,
Sorry for the informal approach, but I'm quite new to this and wanted to check how best to raise this issue and possible solution.

I've been playing fantasy hockey manager 10 via steam on Ubuntu and steam deck. Each time it crashes when you try and watch a simulated game.

The issue appears to be the qtexttospeech_sapi.dll.

When I replace the 64bit dll that came with the game, with a 32bit one I found version here: https://www.pconlife.com/viewfileinfo/q ... -sapi-dll/ it no longer crashes.

On Ubuntu it seems to work perfectly now. On my steam deck there are some graphical issues, but I'll keep looking into that.

Is the 32 vs 64bit dll issue something that can be fixed via wine? Or will that need to be sorted by the game developer?

While getting to the bottom of the issue I saw that sapi and text to speech things have occasionally been a problem on wine so thought I'd best mention it here incase it helps solve a wider issue.

Thanks everyone.
Pieman

Re: I've found an issue and potential solution

Post by Pieman »

Hang on... I've had another fiddle. I'm along the right lines, but the fix isn't the solution I thought it was.

Changing to 32 bit dll didn't have the fix I thought it did. Deleting the 64bit dll and doing nothing else seems to have the same benefit. I don't have speakers so can't test the text to speech option, but imagine it doesn't work, even with the 32bit dll, according to the logs.

The game works by removing the 64bit dll, but adding the 32bit probably doesn't help any more than just removing the 64bit one.
Pieman

Re: I've found an issue and potential solution

Post by Pieman »

The same thing can also be achieved with the launch option:

WINEDLLOVERRIDES=qtexttospeech-sapi-dll=d

Is this going to be something that could that could be fixed through wine to make text or speech work with this dll? Rather than just disabling it?