What does "wine windows program starter" do?

Questions about Wine on Linux
w-user
Level 2
Level 2

What does "wine windows program starter" do?

Post by w-user »

Usually I run windows applications by just creating a .desktop file which contains exec=wine /path/to/program.exe.

But recently, I came across a program that doesn't start that way. For some reason, it runs fine, though, if I right-click on the program.exe in thunar and select "wine windows program starter" (or whatever the name is on a system set to english).

So, now, I wonder, what does "wine windows program starter" do (different from invoking "wine program.exe")? I.e., which commands would one have to execute (through a .desktop file) to emulate what "wine windows program starter" does?

I did some testing and found out that I can also start the program successfully if instead of executing "wine program.exe" from terminal, I execute in the terminal "wine cmd" and then call the program.exe. But I wouldn't know how to execute this chain of commands via a .desktop file. The usual && connector doesn't work, probably "obviously", as after calling "wine cmd", the rest of the commands are running under wine which the .desktop file might not have any access to.
w-user
Level 2
Level 2

Re: What does "wine windows program starter" do?

Post by w-user »

Some good news.

I just found out that using wineconsole instead of wine in the .desktop file (or from terminal) starts the program. Unfortunately, wineconsole seems to ignore the program-specific windows version and uses the global windows version. Now I have to find a way to somehow inject the windows version into the command / force wineconsole to adhere to the settings for the specific program. As wineconsole is (also) a linux program - the one that gets executed -, I'm not really surprised that setting a different windows version for the wineconsole program in ~/.wine doesn't change anything... But even if I run "wine /usr/home/[user]/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 [or syswow64]/wineconsole.exe /path/to/program.exe" the windows version settings for wineconsole.exe and program.exe get ignored, unfortunately...

Adding --backend=user or curses to wineconsole just leads to cmd showing up and giving an error. Neither does trying to execute the "winwconsole /path/to/program.exe" command above as a chain of commands (wineconsole + then "emulating" going to the device (which is not "c:\"), then to the folder and then executing the exe) work.