Wine Ubuntu 20.04 broken packages

Questions about Wine on Linux
makors

Wine Ubuntu 20.04 broken packages

Post by makors »

Hello,
I have been trying to install Wine during the last 5 hours in Ubuntu 20.04 and it just seems impossible. I have reviewed maybe one hundred treads on the issue, nothing works. Broken packages all over. Is there any way to install it? I am considering upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04 if that version is compatible with Wine.

This is what I have tried, plus many other combinations:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo mkdir -pm755 /etc/apt/keyrings
sudo wget -O /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo wget -nc -P /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubunt ... al.sources
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
sudo apt install --install-recommends wine-devel-i386:i386
makors

Re: Wine Ubuntu 20.04 broken packages

Post by makors »

I just installed Ubuntu 22.04 and managed to install Wine without a problem, using the official instructions.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

It looks like you followed the correct steps. Unfortunately, without the output of these steps, it is impossible to tell what is going wrong.

Can you post the output of:

Code: Select all

apt policy
# and
sudo apt install --install-recommends wine-stable-i386:i386
makors

Post by makors »

Thank you very much for your reply and recommendation. Now, I cannot reproduce the output of those commands as I have upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and install went without a problem. The issue with Ubuntu 20.04 was quite the typical one, the whole internet was full of that problem with some missing/broken packages when installing Wine. This forum itself had 3-4 issues like this in first page on this board.