Zbrush installation results in unusable window on Ubuntu 22.04 + microsoft visual 2008 installation failed

Questions about Wine on Linux
ehoim

Zbrush installation results in unusable window on Ubuntu 22.04 + microsoft visual 2008 installation failed

Post by ehoim »

Hi, I have tried to install Z-brush (several versions, both 2022, 2023 and 2024 to see if there was any differences, turns out there aren't) using wine on on Ubuntu 22.04, however this ended up in a few problems.

While the Zbrush installer itself works perfectly fine each time, at the end, it wants me to "repair microsoft visual c++ 2010" (which works), and to "install microsoft visual c++ 2008", which does not work. I figured out it is because the microsoft visual c++ 2008 installer provided together with Z-brush is the x64 version, which installed alone from the microsoft website does not work either, while the x86 version installs perfectly.

-> That set aside, I do not know whether it is related to these libraries or not, but as I launch Z-brush, which finishes installing despite the microsoft visual c++ 2008 missing, it opens me a window in a bizarre format, not re-sizable, that does not respond to clicks either which makes it unusable (refer to screenshot below).

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening and how I could fix it?
Screenshot from 2024-01-22 17-23-34.jpg
ehoim

Re: Zbrush installation results in unusable window on Ubuntu 22.04 + microsoft visual 2008 installation failed

Post by ehoim »

Edit:

Problem 1 (microsoft visual c++ 2008 libraries installation) solved by creating a new wineprefix and making sure to use windows 10 on it. It did not help for the rest.

Problem 2 (unusable window) somehow fixedby running

Code: Select all

wine explorer /desktop=ZBrush,1920x1080 ZBrush.exe
, in the terminal. I can now use zbrush. However the experience is awful, maybe because of the version I chose. The 3d viewver does basically not update properly and there are black stripes all over the viewport (image below). I'll try other versions and see if it works.
Attachments
image_2024-01-23_150248094.png
ehoim

Re: Zbrush installation results in unusable window on Ubuntu 22.04 + microsoft visual 2008 installation failed

Post by ehoim »

Edit 2: The last problem was caused microsoft visual c++ 2017 libraries lacking. Can be fixed by installing winetricks, then using

Code: Select all

winetricks vcrun2017
in a terminal. Zbrush works perfectly now