Apps running trough Wine in VR - a question

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
XenoPL

Apps running trough Wine in VR - a question

Post by XenoPL »

Hi,

Is there any way to make VR compilant windows apps running on wine in VR. I know Proton has its own shim that bridges app to SteamVR, but it's limited to steam games that happen to work with proton.
I've tried with no success to use vr related ddls from proton prefix in wine prefix. Copying whole proton prefix to wine also didn't work (ie prefix itself is ok, apps are launching fine, they just don't detect VR headset).
Did anyone managed to make wine apps use Protons VR runtime shim or is there any other solution to make it work?
XenoPL

Re: Apps running trough Wine in VR - a question

Post by XenoPL »

So it seems a protonified wine is needed to even try t make it work. If time permits I'll do another attempt in the weekend.
BTW I wonder why wine has no wrapper at least for OpenXR. It should be fairly simple lib, just catches calls from from windows app and throws them at VR runtime on Linux side. There's no need to translate anything as it's the same api. For OpenVR something like opencomposite could be adopted, grab app call translate it to OpenXR and send it to native runtime lib.
I hope we'll get something like that in the not so distant future, VR software stack (MonadoXR and ALVR) is in good shape already, headsets became affordable and are easy to make it work under Linux if you've made right choice.