How to use the new wayland driver on wine ?

Questions about Wine on Linux
larina3315

How to use the new wayland driver on wine ?

Post by larina3315 »

Hello, I have recently received news that the wayland driver/support for wine has been upstreamed, how can I, as an end-user, use the wine wayland driver instead of the winex11.drv X11 driver ?
Are there any envvars or launch args I need to add ?

## I know it is still WIP, I mainly want to test it out and report bugs if I find any.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to use the new wayland driver on wine ?

Post by jkfloris »

From the ArchWiki
Wayland
By default, Wine runs on Wayland through Xwayland, providing a satisfactory experience for most users. As of version 9.0rc1, Wine has made substantial progress on merging native Wayland support, now making it suitable for some basic use cases.

To experiment with the native Wayland driver added in recent Wine versions, you can follow these steps:

import the following text file into the Wine registry with regedit:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Drivers]
"Graphics"="x11,wayland"
Bypass the use of Xwayland and force the native Wayland driver by unsetting the DISPLAY environment variable to trick wine into thinking you don't have an X.org server running:

Code: Select all

DISPLAY= wine ...
If the second step makes wine stop working, check to see if your wine version is built with support for the new wayland driver.

The native driver is still experimental, and while it is intended to eventually make Xwayland unnecessary, it's currently not suitable for all use-cases compared to the more tested Xwayland driver. Bugginess and missing features are to be expected.