Whole system lags on startup of any wine application (also winetricks, winecfg...)

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
jKennichnicht

Whole system lags on startup of any wine application (also winetricks, winecfg...)

Post by jKennichnicht »

Hi,

whenever I open any application that uses wine (i.e. using lutris or steam), and also when running winecfg or winetricks, my whole system stutters for a few seconds (depending on the application, that can be 3 seconds or 30 or more). My mouse jumps, audio (by other applications!) is hacked up into small pieces... This sometimes also happens when closing applications, or when an application starts a new process (i.e. a launcher starts up another app that also runs in wine).

I have searched for that, and found out the problem is described in viewtopic.php?t=35507.
However, it also happens on proton, which removed the offending randr check entirely. So the solution posed there does not seem to work for me.
This leads me to believe the problem is somewhere else.

So now I'm a bit at a loss on how to diagnose this further. I am not that firm yet in the linux gaming world and everything is a bit overwhelming, so please be gentle... I'll happily provide more information if necessary. I tried to read FAQ, known issues... but couldn't find anything I could identify as useful.

I'd be happy about any information on how to proceed - be it trying something, collecting logs, providing config or asking somewhere else.

-------------------------------------------
Additional information below:

Wine version: wine-staging 8.15
Proton version: Proton: 1695835443 proton-8.0-4

The journal only shows some small locale generation problem (that should definitely not lock up the whole system).

My configuration (excerpt):
- Arch Linux 6.5.6-arch2-1
- X11
Output of "xdpyinfo | grep version":
version number: 11.0
X.Org version: 21.1.8
-Im using the KDE Desktop environment

Graphics: Nvidia RTX 3060

Logs/Output:
  • The terminal output of running winecfg
  • The terminal output of running winetricks
  • Attached for good measure: The proton logs of starting the launcher of "The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion", where the problem also shows
The terminal output from running winecfg:
[<username>@<hostname> ~]$ winecfg
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 8.15 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0088:fixme:hid:handle_IRP_MN_QUERY_ID Unhandled type 00000005
0070:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
00d4:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
0070:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
00d4:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
0070:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
0034:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
00d4:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
002c:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
0024:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
0120:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
0128:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
[ngrussne@nickdesktoplinux ~]$ winetricks
------------------------------------------------------
warning: You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
------------------------------------------------------
Using winetricks 20230212 - sha256sum: 524c3cd602ef222da3dc644a0a741edd8bca6dfb72ba3c63998a76b82f9e77b2 with wine-8.15 (Staging) and WINEARCH=win64
winetricks GUI enabled, using kdialog 23.08.1
x: 100 y: 100 w: 600 h: 400
Attachments
steam-22330-jKennichnicht.tar.gz
(14.04 KiB) Downloaded 424 times