Cannot get wine to start on CentOS 9

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
roymac123

Cannot get wine to start on CentOS 9

Post by roymac123 »

Well it sort of starts and then states wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

Sort of means that it creates the following directories and files:
drwxrwxr-x. 2 roy roy 26 Jun 18 00:43 dosdevices
drwxrwxr-x. 4 roy roy 34 Jun 18 00:50 drive_c
-rw-rw-r--. 1 roy roy 88197 Jun 18 01:05 system.reg
-rw-rw-r--. 1 roy roy 123 Jun 18 01:05 userdef.reg
-rw-rw-r--. 1 roy roy 40959 Jun 18 01:05 user.reg

lnx9:$ wine --version
wine-8.0.1

Goal:
This needs to be installed on an airgapped system and therefore I cannot rely on what dnf/yum does in the background that I cannot capture. I have NOT executed the following: dnf install wine.x86_64 as I am not sure how I would capture that to a DVD.

Background:
This was built from source with envi var: PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig/
./configure
make
make install
After building, I have seen one example of where make depend was also included as the third step.

Several support messages state that my problem will be resolved if the .wine file is removed/renamed. This action does not. Otherwise, I have not been able to find anything that describes my problem with the keywords that I have been using. Basically, nothing runs winecfg, winedbg. So those cannot be used to debug. One of the messages suggests to be sure you have everything installed correctly with no info about what is contained in "everything". Basically, I followed the steps provided, performed a massive number of dnf installs until ./configure was no longer grumpy. It built and installed without any obvious errors. However, when it runs, it does not seem to copy anything drive_c or create Program Files/Data directories. It does not populate windows/system32 with a plethora of dlls as on my CentOS 7/wine-4.0.4 system.

strace winecfg indicates there is a lot going on (too much for this post), but in the end, it is not finding kernel32.dll or other necessary items. I am guessing that whatever is supposed to be populating my workspace is not and I have no idea how to investigate that - hence this post.

The following envi vars are used:
WINEARCH=win32
WINEPREFIX=/home/roy/myapp/prefix
WINEPATH=/home/roy/myapp

The following commands provided similar (perhap identical) traceback and that follows:
wineboot, winecfg, winedbg

002c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0034:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "rpcrt4.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
0034:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Initializing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\services.exe" failed, status c0000005
002c:err:wineboot:start_services_process Unexpected termination of services.exe - exit code -1073741819
002c:err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load ole32.dll.StringFromGUID2
wine: Call from 7B012866 to unimplemented function ole32.dll.StringFromGUID2, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function ole32.dll.StringFromGUID2 called at address 7B012866 (thread 002c), starting debugger...
002c:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger L"winedbg --auto 40 128" (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

Pointers to which pond I should be holding my fishing rod over will be greatly appreciated.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Cannot get wine to start on CentOS 9

Post by DarkShadow44 »

You're trying to build 32bit wine only, correct? Is CentOS 9 a 32bit distro? Because (on Arch) I need to use PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib32/pkgconfig
Not exactly sure what you're doing with the WINEPATH either.

What you could try is rebuild from scratch, use a completely new WINEPREFIX and then run "PATH HERE/wine/loader/wine winecfg"
For better details, please post the complete configure and build log as attachment.