Not able to run windows app on macos

Questions about Wine on macOS.
emilelo

Not able to run windows app on macos

Post by emilelo »

Hi all, I am trying to run a small game on my laptop using wine, but have not been successful.

First of all, I apologise for my lack of technical knowledge. I have tried my best to make this work without asking for help and spent a lot of time reading the FAQ and forums, but after trying many times over several months I just can't do it. The game I am trying to run has a lot of sentimental value to me and it would really mean a lot to be able to play it again.

The game in question is Tepposenso by the Japanese indie-game developer IKIKI. It is very lightweight (about 850 kB), but also quite old (2005).

My Wine version is: Wine Stable 8.0.1 (I also tried with Wine Devel 8.8 )
My OS version is: macOS 13.3.1
My laptop is an M2 MacBook Air
I installed Wine using brew.

When I launch the .exe file by double-clicking it, the game opens, but the windows is completely white, the window title is a random string of special characters, BUT I hear the background music and the game seems to run because it reacts to my keypresses (with sound).

I suspect that the game could be 32-bit and I have tried to create a 32bit prefix to launch it but that then gave me an error saying that wine couldn't run 64 bit apps.

I don't know what else to try but am afraid that I have missed something very obvious. I anyone could give me a hand I would be very grateful!

Thanks, Raphael