embarrassing and discouraging registration process

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
darkangel00

embarrassing and discouraging registration process

Post by darkangel00 »

I, i'm new, i tryed 2 hours to register to this forum to get help on wine

i think the "community" is here to help not to overcomplicate thing, for someone that can be maybe a newbie.

registering account:
"what is the name of wine creator?" i don't know, i don't wanna know, it useless for my life
"what distro is fake? bla ,bla , bla" i don't know there are tons of distros, it's useless for my knowledge
"what distro use deb package?" i don't know AGAIN, i installed a distro to try some stuff, i'm new, i'm trying to enter in linux world what du u want from me?
it's regular captcha too mainstream?
linux user need to be some kind of special snowflake?
is this the "come to the linux side we have cookies"?

after registering:
"we send mai for complete the registration process..."
mail dosen't arrive:
try to login:
"account inactive contact admin"
no link, no name, no mail, no internal messaging system... what?
search faq ... standar faq from board, u guys never touched them, simply copy & paste... omg...

how can i get help? if this peolpe thinks everyone is a linux "guru"
dimesio

Re: embarrassing and discouraging registration process

Post by dimesio »

The challenge questions are to keep spambots and most human spammers from registering. The function is built into the forum software; captchas aren't. Personally, I find it harder to figure out which tiny, fuzzy picture has a bus, or a bicycle, or whatever in it.

You didn't ask about the forced moderation for new users, but that is to keep out the human spammers who do get past the challenge questions. I'm sorry it's inconvenient, but it's the only effective way we've found to keep spam out.

As for the confirmation email, it does sometimes go to people's spam folders, and some overly aggressive antispam services may block it altogether. But since you posted this, you must have completed the registration process somehow.
darkangel00

Re: embarrassing and discouraging registration process

Post by darkangel00 »

i've found a resend email under login, but there is no contact information for email/messagind admins, so the message is wrong or incomplete.

for questions: ok, so for "long time linux users" is a good thing,
for many people who approach the world of linux the forums are currently an opportunity to grow and learn, but if you are blocked at the entrance by a bodyguard who says "either you are a linux nerd or go away" it becomes quite frustrating and unfortunately I have seen this kind of attitude many times in the linux world.
it almost feels like you're pushing the average windows user out of the way, and just encouraging self-learning by mistake method.

however, it was just to give the point of view of a noob user looking for help. sometimes if you are deep inside things you don't see the little things
:beer: