Retail Hellgate London missing models and textures, crashes on character customization

Questions about Wine on Linux
Moloch1994

Retail Hellgate London missing models and textures, crashes on character customization

Post by Moloch1994 »

Using Br OS (based on Kubuntu 22.04.2), Lutris, GEProton7-35.

The game launches, but once I open the character creation screen, all you can see are weapons floating in the air. None of the other models or textures load. When I try to change face, hairstyle or facial hair, the game crashes with a bug-report window.

Logs are always different, but the last few gave me this single error:

Code: Select all

Unhandled page fault on write access to 0000000000000008 at address 0000000140004D90 (thread 0198)
I think the numbers are different each time, but the error is the same. On my last attempt even that one error didn't appear.

What may be interesting is that when I tried to install a patch on the game, the Windows installer couldn't see this game's prefix folder (could see all the other ones). Though I've since tried moving it into a different folder, and this didn't solve the issue.

Technically, if I don't customize the character and just press "start", I can get into the game, and at first it looks alright, but then you start noticing that it's not. First of all, character textures and models in-game seem very low-quality, almost PS1-level, even if all the settings are maxed out. Secondly, every time I put on or take off gear, it makes the respective body part disappear. But if I quit to the menu and start again, now the new gear is visible. So clearly there's some issue with loading the models and textures.

If I don't trigger the error (by changing customization parameters) and just quit the game normally, logs show this:

Code: Select all

RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
I've read somewhere that this is a permission issue. Not sure why it's there. I'm not well-versed in these things, but to me it seems like the game cannot access its data due to the lack of permission or something. I've not fiddled with permissions for the game's folder or Lutris or Wine. I've not had this error in other games either.