Unable to Connect to Internet through Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

Unable to Connect to Internet through Wine

Post by rebeltaz »

I am running wine-6.0.3 (Ubuntu 6.0.3~repack-1) under Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, installed via apt. I have several programs installed that need access to the internet. Before I migrated to Ubuntu 22.04, everything worked properly under 18.04. Now, no program under wine can access the internet.

I ran 'wine cmd' and tried 'ping www.google.com' and even though that nameserver is translated to an IP address, the ping fails. If, however, I run 'sudo wine cmd' (just as a test), the ping works as expected.

I found this - https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Failed_to_u ... ermissions - which seems to maybe be a possible solution, except that there is no wine-preloader file that I can find anywhere, either in the locations noted or through a search of the filesystem.

I saw the recommendation to run 'dpkg-reconfigure wine-<branch>-amd64 wine-<branch> wine-<branch>-i386' and I tried that as well, substituting 'stable' for '<branch>'. It tells me that the command must be run as root and when I do, it tells me that wine-stable-amd64 is not installed. If I try one at a time, it says that none of those [wine-stable-amd64;wine-stable; wine-stable-i386] are installed.

Could someone please tell me what I am missing here? Thank you.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Unable to Connect to Internet through Wine

Post by jkfloris »

An other/better way to test the Internet connection in Wine, is to use the built-in Internet Explorer.

Code: Select all

wine iexplore
Before I migrated to Ubuntu 22.04, everything worked properly under 18.04. Now, no program under wine can access the internet.
Some programs need the winbind package for the Internet connection.
Is the winbind package installed?
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Unable to Connect to Internet through Wine

Post by rebeltaz »

I thought I replied to this. I checked and dpkg shows that that is installed:

ii winbind 2:4.15.13+dfsg-0ubuntu1 amd64 service to resolve user and group information from Windows NT servers