Unable to set default prefix

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Chris98

Unable to set default prefix

Post by Chris98 »

Hi

I'm trying to set a default prefix of /opt/windows and while this works via the terminal, and when I echo out $WINEPREFIX I get /opt/windows, when launching apps or application installers, Wine keeps trying to load/run them from /home/user/.wine. The user I'm using owns the /opt/windows directory as I used chown to change the owner.

I edited my .bashrc file to include WINEPREFIX=/opt/windows but for some reason, this doesn't seem to have any effect. Still the same thing - via the terminal it's correct, via the desktop, it is not.

Literally I used these commands to change the prefix:

Code: Select all

export WINEPREFIX=/opt/windows
wine winecfg
In the past I have just set the /home/user/.wine as a symlink but I don't really want to do that as I don't want to get any wires crossed between directories. I just want to set this prefix so it persists and applications run there by default, although I can also switch to other prefixes for other applications as/when I need to. I'm sure this is something stupid but I can't think of what it might be. Any help would be appreciated.

Using Arch Linux along with winetricks and wine-mono. Fresh install.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Unable to set default prefix

Post by jkfloris »

According to the Arch Wiki, environment variables are placed in ~/.profile or /etc/profile.
Chris98

Re: Unable to set default prefix

Post by Chris98 »

Thanks, yes - in the end I just used ~/.bashrc and the prefix now persists.