Wow-Mania client no longer runs

Questions about Wine on Linux
mark4th
Level 1
Level 1

Wow-Mania client no longer runs

Post by mark4th »

I occasionally play wow on a private server (also on blizzard servers :) and the WOTLK client for WoW-Manina no longer runs under wine. I believe that this is because the client is stuck in an endless loop following circular path lins throught the z: symlink. I had this problem previously and fixed it by making z: point to /home/my-user instead of / but this is no longer working.

This seems to be the only wine application I run that has this problem but prior to a recent update (the version of which I can not tell you) this game client no longer works.

What information can I supply that might help someone here resolve this issue?
mark4th
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wow-Mania client no longer runs

Post by mark4th »

circular links through Z; ad infnitum...

failed to open Z:\home\mark4\wine\MANIA\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.mozilla\firefox\4oz8h26h.default-esr-1640432733177\storage\defaul\https+++arstechnica.com\

failed to open Z:\home\mark4\wine\MANIA\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.mozilla\firefox\4oz8h26h.default-esr-1640432733177\storage\defaul\https+++ask.fedoraproject.org\

failed to open Z:\home\mark4\wine\MANIA\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.mozilla\firefox\4oz8h26h.default-esr-1640432733177\storage\defaul\https+++askubuntu.com\
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

You can disable this with winecfg → Desktop Integration → Disable all Link to Folder entries.
Or with winetricks isolate_home
mark4th
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark4th »

after disabling all links to fonders and also adding winetricks isolate_home to my starter script i still get...
failed to open Z:\home\mark4\wine\MANIA\dosdevices\z:\home\mark4\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\z:\home\mark4\.wine\dosdevices\z:\tmp\screen\failed to open Z:\home\mark4\wine\MANIA\dosdevices\z:\home\mark4\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\z:\home\mark4\.wine\dosdevices\z:\tmp\systemd-private-db0d3894028f4fbda4547bdce7895592-colord.service-9nYITu\
failed to open Z:\home\mark4\wine\MANIA\dosdevices\z:\home\mark4\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\z:\home\mark4\.wine\dosdevices\z:\tmp\systemd-private-db0d3894028f4fbda4547bdce7895592-mysqld.service-8ACY2a\
failed to open Z:\home\mark4\wine\MANIA\dosdevices\z:\home\mark4\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\c:\users\mark4\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\.wine\dosdevices\z:\home\mark4\.wine\dosdevices\z:\tmp\systemd-private-db0d3894028f4fbda4547bdce7895592-php-fpm@8.1.service-F9IFHV\
mark4th
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark4th »

however after disabling all links to folders i then removed the z: link and added it back in as a link to /home/me/wine/wine-prefix-dir and everything is back to working now
tyty :)