Wine font mechanism conflicts with overlayroot (overlayfs) protection on the host system

Questions about Wine on Linux
wuwbobo2023

Wine font mechanism conflicts with overlayroot (overlayfs) protection on the host system

Post by wuwbobo2023 »

I'm using Wine on Ubuntu 22.04 (zh-cn) with package `overlayroot` installed and configured as `overlayroot="tmpfs":recurse=0`, which means any modification in the file system acts on the root-rw layer stored in tmpfs (RAM) and will be lost on shutdown, but other mounted partitions are excluded from protection.
When overlayroot is enabled, the font of all programs on Wine falls back to an unknown font, in which Latin letters are shown as rectangles while CJK characters shown correctly in a SimHei like style. Neither noto-cjk, droid-sans-fallback, simsun.ttc (the font with hight priority on WinXP/Wine zh-cn) I installed on the host system for LibreOffice, nor fonts I put under /usr/share/fonts, /opt/wine-stable/share/wine/fonts or .wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts on the root-ro layer.
Wine terminal output gives no clue about font. I have to place the correct font on the root-rw layer of the filesystem, but that will be lost after reboot. I have another Wine prefix installed on a portable disk not protected by overlayroot, in which the font works well after I copied the correct font under the prefix's font path.
I upgraded Wine from version 7.0.1 to 8.0.0.0 and the problem still exists. It is strange that fonts under overlayfs works incorrectly, while opening file from ro-layer and saving file on rw-layer both work on Wine.