USB Device Access Problems (not USBstorage devices)

Questions about Wine on Linux
KRinAZ

USB Device Access Problems (not USBstorage devices)

Post by KRinAZ »

Hello all, new to the WineHQ forum...

I have three Win apps (that I'd like to run on a Ubuntu system) that are all made for the use of non-storage type USB devices:

1) Plugable's Microscope app for their USB Microscope
2) Velleman's HPS50 app for capturing the data logging of their oscilloscope with USB logging output
3) Canon's several apps for using/manipulating their DSLR cameras

I'm running Wine 7.0.1 on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

I tried the first two, haven't tried the Canon apps yet. For the first two, I can install them but they do not "see" their USB devices.

lsusb lists the microscope and the oscilloscope when I plug them in and devices are added to /dev.

I'm posting this with my iPhone right now - and can post lsusb outputs and the /dev devices - when I get back to the Ubuntu laptop.

The issue appears to be - that the Win apps don't see the linux devices. The microscope does work with native Ubuntu webcam apps, though limited by the lack of the features of the actual microscope app. However when I try to connect to the microscope from within it's app I get an error "No microscope found, please plug in your microscope" I get a similar message from the oscilloscope app about not finding the oscilloscope.
The only way I have to try the oscilloscope is with the HPS50 app, I don't know of a native linux app to attempt to connect to the oscilloscope, which outputs binary data.

In the absence of Device Manager in Wine I don't know how to try to see the devices in a "Windows" kind of way.

So, is there a way to access USB devices by Win apps from within Wine?

I didn't see this issue addressed even generally in the Wine docs or faqs, so thought I'd try to find answers here...