32-bit dependencies -- generate list of libaries required.

Questions about Wine on Linux
lawlist
Level 2
Level 2

32-bit dependencies -- generate list of libaries required.

Post by lawlist »

I successfully created a *.deb package of a 32-bit build of Wine that can be installed on Debian 8.11.1 with only the 32-bit library packages needing to be installed, but not the developer packages. Older versions of Debian did not support installation of multi-arch -dev packages -- i.e., for many -dev packages the user must choose between either 32-bit or 64-bit, but cannot have both concurrently installed due to inherent conflicts. How can I generate a complete list of all 32-bit libraries that may be needed to run the Wine 32-bit version?

I have tried `readelf -d ./wine`, but that did not give me the list I'm looking for.

I have tried the layman's approach by running various Wine apps and searching for complaints in the terminal of missing libraries. However, I'm looking for something more sophisticated that will give me a complete list. Using this layman's approach, I have found the following libraries that are needed, but I suspect some apps will require additional i386 packages:

gcc-multilib
lib32ncurses5 or libncurses5:i386
libfreetype6:i386
libxext6:i386
libudv1:i386
libmpg123-0:i386
libgnutls-deb0-28:i386
lawlist
Level 2
Level 2

Re: 32-bit dependencies -- generate list of libaries required.

Post by lawlist »

**Layman's approach -- second attempt**: Install everything needed to build Wine 32-bit from source and then inspect the history of installed packages.

grep " install " /var/log/dpkg.log > /tmp/dpkg_history.txt

The packages containing the names `-dev:i386` are the ones that potentially cause multi-arch conflicts on older versions of Debian, and are apparently not required to run Wine 32-bit after it has been built from source. The remaining packages on the list that are non-offending can be installed without prejudice, although some may not be needed to run the various apps with Wine 32-bit. In my case, there are about 200 individual packages remaining on the list after removing those described above.